Thursday, May 22, 2008

my job is...

This morning we were out walking and saw Matt on his bike, leaving for the day. This is part of the conversation that followed:

Julianna: Why is daddy going to campus?

Me: Well, that's his job.

Julianna: Oh. [pause] My job is to put my milk away.

Me: That's right. (One of her "chores" is to put her milk back in the fridge at the end of a meal.)

Me: What is mommy's job?

Julianna: Ummmmm, washing dishes!!

Well, I like to think my "mommy job description" is a bit more complex than that, but I do wash a LOT of dishes! The crazy thing is, Julianna LOVES to "wash dishes"... she pulls a chair up to the sink and I turn the faucet on to a trickle of water, hand her a couple of plastic bowls and spoons, and she'll "wash dishes" for 30 minutes! Maybe she thinks my job mainly consists of playing with the water in the sink! Oh, if she only knew.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Caroline and Will love to "wash dishes" too. Caroline can adjust the flow of the water so it mainly ends up a puddle of water on my floor and having to change both of them because they basically gave themselves a bath. But it does buy me some great uninterrupted time.
Love Julie

Kristi said...

Oh yes...if she ONLY KNEW!!! :-) I love the perspectives that kids bring to the table!!

One time I was running around trying to get some things done when Mackenzie said to me, "Is being a mom a really hard job?"

Well, my dear...yes it is! The "jobs" NEVER END!!! :-) But, we love it anyways, don't we??