Monday, May 12, 2008

yeah, I felt the earth shaking

Well, if you read Google, or any other online news source, you probably read about an earthquake that hit western China earlier this afternoon.... I actually just checked google news, and it is the top story right now. A 7.8 earthquake with an epicenter in the province just north of us (and very close to the city where I once lived).

So, the news is just now starting to trickle in, but it seems like there was very little damage and few lives lost. Matt was out riding his bike in the hills around us, and I was home with two napping little girls when the chair I was sitting in started vibrating. When the light hanging over our dining room table started swaying, I walked over to look out the window - the few folks I saw outside did not seem to notice anything strange. It probably only lasted a minute or two. Maybe three.

Got on the phone with Erin Ashley - she noticed a lot more movement in her apartment - maybe cause it is on the ground floor? We concluded that there must have been a much bigger earthquake somewhere near us. A few hours later, we started to hear some news about the size and location of the quake.

We're fine. Matt (on his mountain bike) didn't even notice anything strange. Still waiting to hear more news.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read about the earthquake on Yahoo and I was wondering how close it was to you guys. So then I checked your blog just to make sure you were OK. Glad to hear that everything is fine.
Love Julie

Paul said...

thanks for the quick update and so glad you guys are well

Rob and Carrie said...

Glad you guys are o.k.! The pics of Lydia are too funny!!

Leslie said...

So thankful that you and your family are OK. I checked your blog immediately after seeing the news reports. Any word from friends in the cities nearer to the quake center?

Brent, Sara, Hannah and Sam said...

Thought about you guys - glad you are all well! Love, Sara

Laura Lu said...

Glad you guys are ok. We've been wondering how you are. My mom even called Matt's aunt Bev to see how you are.