Tuesday, May 13, 2008

death toll rising

Well, last night when I wrote my post, the death toll was at 4. The last time I checked the news (about 9 pm) it was at about 100, with unconfirmed reports of a mudslide killing 900. Went to bed wondering what the news would be in the morning. It's not good. 8700 dead. Maybe thousands more. One large town near the epicenter has had no contact with the outside world since the quake happened.

We continue to personally know of no one who was significantly affected.... several of our friends north of us had pictures fall of walls, books off shelves, etc. Also, they have continued to feel aftershocks, but none have been strong enough to be felt here.

I have been to most of the places that are in the news.

4 comments:

Laura Lu said...

praying...

Anonymous said...

Today I kept thinking about Liu Laoshi and how he survived the Tangshan earthquake and what he must be thinking now. I don't even know how he is- hopefully ok. I have been sad today about all of this. Anyway, thought you could relate to thinking about our favorite teacher...

Unknown said...

Thanks for keeping us posted. Many people around town and the church have asked about ya'll.
Love ya'll.
Kelly and Beth

Kristi said...

Oh my. I was just thinking of you guys as I read the headlines of some sites on-line here! I am so glad that you guys are OK...what a heartache for so many people though. So sad. :-(