Tuesday, September 21, 2010

siblings for Isaac

This new baby is going to bring big changes to our whole family.  But I'm pretty sure the biggest shock is coming right at Isaac.

Julianna is now preparing for sibling #3.... she's been down this road a few times :)

Lydia tells me that she remembers Isaac's birth.  I have serious doubts and am pretty sure this is a classic case of "my big sister _____ therefore I also ______"  Regardless, she is a little more aware of what's heading our direction.

And then there is Isaac :)  Who knows what's happening in that little head of his?  On the airplane home last Wednesday I had one telling conversation.  Background info you must know to really understand this though -  Isaac loves his little toy lawnmower, loves to spot lawnmowers when he rides in the car, loves to sing songs about lawnmowers.  (Yes, I make up lawnmower songs... impressive, huh?)

Anyways, he's in my lap on the airplane and we're chatting.

Me:  Isaac, are you going to share your lawnmower with the new baby?

Isaac:  Yeah.

Then, slowly, his face gets a very concerned look.

Isaac (loudly and with conviction): Mine.... mine.... mine.  Lawnmower, mine. 

Me:  Okay buddy, it's ok.  You probably don't need to share your lawnmower.


For a little guy who spends his days "sharing" with his big sisters, I'd like to think he's a little more prepared, but looks like his sin nature won the heart battle on this particular issue!

Moments like these encourage me that, though there will be some bumps on the road, one day he will delight in his new baby brother.


That's my little man, skype-ing with his Daddy and big sisters while we were in Charlotte last week (the cell phone is irrelevant, but he thought he was really using it so I let him keep dreaming).


He was having a blast ... Isaac can be quite the entertainer and kept the girls giggling despite the 1200 miles between them.


He really does love these girls, and I'm hopeful that the transition from "baby of the family" to "sharing the middle spot with Lydia" will be relatively smooth :) 


"Relatively" being the operative word here - when the going gets tough, remind me to tell you how Lydia reacted to Isaac's arrival.  The short version?  She yelled at the top of her lungs when I failed to verbally respond to any comment or request she made.  Pleasant.  Thankfully, it only lasted a few (long) weeks :)

4 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Isaac will definitely be the one with the biggest adjustment! Love the new blog home page photos from your family portrait day - wonderful photos! Love to you all!

Julie Redfern said...

Those pictures on the side are fantastic! Do we get to see more of those? The adjustment is going to be hard on Will too. We can compare stories at Christmas!! Love Julie

Anonymous said...

A passing thought:
Your children will love your blogging when they are adults. You & Matt also will smile, chuckle, shake your head in amazement as the children converse, "remember when.... and add their unspoken words to the event."
Parenting: Priceless
Love Bn

Paul said...

I had such fun taking these photos of my Grandson
- he was / is soooo cute !!
love the GrandDad