Friday, February 29, 2008

not so graceful motherhood moments

In case you were wondering, I'm quite prone to having "not so graceful" moments in the course of my motherhood journey. Tonight was one of them. Matt left for a meeting about 6pm, so it was just me and the girls on the bedtime journey. No problem, we'll clean up dinner, read a few books, change into pjs and it's off to dream-land, right? Not quite.

The dinner clean-up was curtailed by a hungry, fussy Lydia (the dishes are still in the sink as I write, but we did managed to get the table cleared). I changed Lydia into her pjs and sat down to feed her. Lydia's just getting started when Julianna announces she needs to potty. Potty training is going exceptionally well, but when Julianna wants to go, I generally move pretty quickly to ensure success!

Soooo, Lydia's nighttime feeding comes to a quick halt - I shift her to a fairly precarious grip under my left arm and the three of us hustle off to the potty. As we round the corner, I bonk Lydia's head on the doorframe... her eyes fill with tears but on we go. [I mainly let Julianna wander around the house in just panties... that way she can manage the potty on her own. But it's quite chilly again, and she had on more clothes, so she needed my help.] So, with a crying Lydia under my left arm I help Julianna get through the layers of clothing and onto the potty. Success!

Back to the girls' bedroom and Lydia starts to eat once more. This time she manages to get a full belly, and into her bed she goes! Julianna followed a short while later (with no mishaps).

All in all, it was actually a pretty smooth evening. Of course, Lydia might have a different take on things! But, I've had much worse, trust me! Another day behind us. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 7, even with the head bonk. I just brewed a pot of decaf and I've got about 5 hours worth of computer work to squeeze into the next 120 minutes, so I best cut this short.

I have photos to post from Matt's birthday party last night and from today (we got a rare but fun snowfall!) So, stay tuned.

oh yeah, and my apologies to the North Dakota crew. Apparently my online weather source was mistaken and the days are quite balmy now - highs in the teens. At least they are in the double-digits!!

2 comments:

Patt said...

Well, Mommy, you did have a challenging evening on just your own. Hope Ms. Lydia has recovered nicely and that all is going more smoothly when you wake up Saturday morning. Congrats on the successful potty training! Love, Mom/Grandmama

Jaci said...

Oh Laura! Can I ever relate to having not so graceful motherhood moments...many in fact:-) Isn't being a mom a riot! You just never for sure know what to expect one moment to the next. I wish you lived a little closer so we could have playdates and swap stories in person:-)

Thanks for sharing...it helps to know I'm not the only ungraceful mama!

Love, JACI

PS Happy belated B-day Matt!!

PPS Way to go Julianna using the Big Girl Potty!