Tuesday, February 12, 2008

home home home

Our final few days in Samui were a little tough. Julianna went back to the doctor on Sunday morning, and was given a clean bill of health (also got her second Japanese encephalitis shot and didn’t even cry!) But, Lydia had developed a cough and bit of fever, so the doctor listened to her lungs too – not good news. A quick chest x-ray confirmed a mild case of pneumonia. She was given a nebulizer treatment, some suctioning of her lungs and sent home to recover (it’s a viral infection, so no need for antibiotics). I can assure you that she royally hates having a tube stuck down her nose! On Monday morning she was cleared to fly, and given two more treatments - nebulizer and suctioning (Monday morning and afternoon).

We are so thankful that we caught the pneumonia early on – she responded really well to the treatment, we had great doctors and nurses, and she traveled easily today. In fact, you wouldn’t even know she was sick. In the midst of it all, she cut a second tooth!

Our trip home was fairly uneventful, a two hour delay on the second flight, but other than that, no worries. The girls traveled GREAT. We're home now.... heating up some chicken corn chowder for dinner - I doubled the recipe last time I made it and froze some for times just like this! It's Marilyn's recipe that she gave me when I married Matt - so YUMMY! The house hasn't been lived in for three weeks, and the fridge is empty. Looking forward to unpacking and getting settled back in here.

It's chilly - Julianna keeps saying "I'm cold, I'm cold". Hard to believe that back on Koh Samui it's 90 degrees. I bet it's 50 in the apartment, but I've started the heaters running, so it'll warm up soon.

2 comments:

Vic said...

I'm so glad you like that chowder recipe....it is one of our favorites, for sure. So glad you are home safely and on the mend. Marilyn

Leslie said...

I wonder if the pneumonia came from the teething. Andrew always gets ear infections when he is teething because of all the congestion that accompanies them.