Friday, February 22, 2008

when the day gets long

[I tried to post this yesterday evening, but it didn't work. So, here it is, a little late.]

Yes, the title of the blog is "enjoying our gifts from the Lord", but, let me assure you... I have my days. When my attitude is more like: I just have to survive a few more hours and everyone will be asleep!

Today was one of those days. [how in the world, then, am I on the internet, you ask? because Matt walked in the door, saw my face, and gave me a compassionate break from mommy-life! I just finished reading this really interesting news article on the Chinese firewall. The firewall is a big part of our life. We use a VPN to get around it. http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200803/chinese-firewall ] Part of our problem is sleep-deprivation. The fireworks last night were unbelievable. It was like living inside the July 4th celebration at the local fairgrounds. whoa - loud. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. And, Matt has been swamped recently - just really busy with work. He also has at least two, possibly three, out of town trips in the next 3 weeks. That works out to more time on airplanes and at airports than I care to think about.

Right now he's entertaining the girls at the kitchen table - both are giggling. He fed Julianna dinner and we are waiting until after the girls are in bed to eat.

Adding slightly more stress, but also some joy to the past few days is that Julianna has decided it's time to use the potty. She declared herself ready yesterday morning and had a pretty successful day. Today was even more successful! She loves to have an audience on the potty - "Lydia, look at me", she says!

Please never tell her I posted this photo. can you imagine what she'll think when she's a teenager??




Lydia and Matt...

1 comment:

Patt said...

That Matt is a great husband - he can read that mommy-weary face and step in to relieve the situation. Your dad was not always so quick to pick up on the visuals, but never mind, I was nevere hesitant to point out the need for a mommy-break! Love the potty photo and Lydia is looking more like Matt - loved the earlier photo of Lydia looking up at Matt with that sweet, adoring face! Love you and miss you, Mom/Grandmama