Saturday, October 31, 2009

random tidbits

I am hoping to cover about 13 topics in one post, so hold on tight :)

You probably guessed that the local population doesn't really get into Halloween. Some foreigners did organize a "harvest festival" last night at a hotel downtown but we didn't go. Matt was working and I felt like trying to handle all three kiddos at an event like that wasn't going to make for a very successful night.

Besides, the girls wear dress-up clothes nearly every day (Julianna is already in her third dress-up outfit of the day, and it's only 9:30), so even though I don't organize a cake walk or offer prizes for best costume, I sometimes feel like our house is a 'harvest festival'. Hey, I even serve hotdogs on occasion :)

Speaking of dress up clothes, a few weeks ago we participated in a "creative movement" class - "creative movement" is a fancy way of saying "beginning dance". I really wanted it to work out for us, mostly for Julianna, who pretends to go to dance class all the time and really wants to 'do ballet'. But it just isn't going to be a good fit for us right now. For one, it's a 40ish minute drive, one way, for a 45 minute class :)

But the girls did have fun at the one class that we attended. I was really impressed with how closely Lydia watched the teacher. What she lacked in motor skills she made up for in concentration.


She's always making up new moves and saying "watch this, watch this" while she shows her stuff. Her newest move looks like an attempt at the electric slide. Remember that? I'm trying to work on getting the steps right, but can't remember the whole thing. If anyone is watching us from their window while we play outside (and there's a very strong possibility that they are!) then they are probably amused, and confused, as they watch me and Lydia working on our steps to the electric slide.

Anyways, now we're hoping that there will be a chance to do some "creative movement" type of class when we are home next fall.

On to the next topic. Road travel. Although dance class is still a pretty hefty trip, the city just got a LOT closer. Some major road construction projects are finished and some new roads have opened up and we are able to get to church in 20 minutes! Last winter, at the peak of bad construction traffic, it was a 65 or 70 minute trip, mostly in stop & go construction site traffic. Yuck.

We also have a new set of wheels that makes travel a LOT more fun. A few weeks ago we bought an electric bike. These are super popular here - and super convenient. The bike runs on a battery which we recharge using an extension cord that we hang out of our 4th floor apartment window. Classy, I know. It can run for 2-4 hours on one recharge, depending on how aggressively you ride and how much weight you are pulling.

This photo is from the day we purchased it... Isaac is in the baby carrier on my back and Julianna can ride in front of me.


We then added a child bike seat on the luggage rack and now I can carry all three kiddos at one time (Lydia in the seat, Isaac on my back, Julianna in front of me). When we go out as a family, Matt rides his bike (and carries one girl) while I ride the electric bike and carry another girl and Isaac. I can out-ride him, but not by much - he is a really good bike rider and spends a lot of time on his bike, so we make a pretty good pair.

It's no minivan, but it works for us. We have had a LOT of fun and enjoy having the additional freedom it brings.


Well, that's enough for now. The girls are asking for a snack and want me to color with them.

Come over and visit! You can take the electric bike for a spin. And do a little coloring too :) Maybe I'll even have all the electric slide steps figured out by then!

6 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Wonderful post - Dad rallied from his torpor just to listen to me read the post out loud - he can't focus this late in the day - the jetlag fog continues. Love your stories about everyday life in the Kvernen household - never a dull moment. We love you all bunches!

Krisanne said...

I love your new bike - that's great! I bet it feels really nice to have the freedom to go around without having to order a car of taxi - I know we appreciated that so much when we got our bike. And the dancing is precious! I really hope Julianna and Lydia can be in a "creative movement" class next fall, too. And I'd love to see you two doing the electric slide - maybe in Feb!

Paul said...

for the record, Laura handles that bike extremely well too, I saw her

proud Dad and GrandDad

Julie Redfern said...

What a unique family photo!! Nice way to travel! Love Julie
Caroline says that Julianna can send a picture of the striped pants!

Brent, Sara, Hannah and Sam said...

Love the stories - sounds like you have found a way to independently get around as a family which is great! Love the dance story - so fun!

Jeni Jones said...

Laura,
Love reading your entries! You have a gift of writing! It's fun see your precious children and hear the stories. Thank you-
Next fall we want to invite you to come to Women of Faith in Minneapolis, October 22nd and 23rd. I was wondering if your Mom would like to join us too. This year we had about 14 relatives attend, it was awesome. We bought 25 tickets for next year and would love for you to come!