Thursday, October 8, 2009

laundry generators

I got home a few hours ago from my afternoon off. And I will say this: when you are a mommy of three little ones, preparing to get-away for some rest takes work! I had a full morning, but it was SOOOOOO worth it :)

Matt and the kiddos did great here at home. One measure of success: I returned home and noticed that all three of them were still wearing the same clothes that they started the day with. Seriously. That's a pretty rare achievement.

My three children are professional laundry generators. They create dirty laundry. Lots of dirty laundry. Isaac has this charming habit while sitting in the high chair - he stuffs his hand in his mouth, goops it up with pureed whatever, and smears it on his clothes. Sometimes the end-of-the-meal assessment leaves me with no option but to change his entire outfit.

Lydia and Julianna don't (usually) smear food on their clothing. But they too can create a pile of dirty laundry in record time. Now that cooler weather has arrived and Lydia wears long sleeves she has a new challenge: washing her hands and simultaneously attempting to completely soak every inch of her sleeves with soapy water. She gets so wet that a clothing change is in order (I hang her wet sleeved stuff in the window and let it dry for another go-round.)

Julianna wins the 'least likely to change clothes' award, but she does have one laundry-generating habit. Every time she enters the house she removes not only her shoes but also her socks. And when she gets ready to put her shoes on and leave again, she gets a new pair of socks. What can I say, she likes variety. And she must think I like washing socks.

It doesn't take too long to create something that looks like this:



Yep, I sort laundry in the hallway. It's not a big apartment, and the bathroom that holds our washer/dryer is pretty small.

But today the laundry pile didn't grow too much :) And I had a great afternoon away from home - got some good time by myself and got to hang out with a super-great friend too.

2 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Matt has earned a gold star for keeping the kids in the same clothes all day long! Glad you enjoyed your afternoon off - I know it was well deserved and well appreciated! Love you! Mom

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! Mine are laundry generators too! Will is having hte same problem with his sleeves and wore 3 shirts yesterday since he got the sleeves wet! I did the same thing you did and hung them to dry and wear again! Love, Julie