Sunday, October 18, 2009

what a grandmother and a sewing machine can do

When I was little we had a card table cover - it was kind of like a tablecloth, but much much better. Because when you draped it over the table, it created a little house.

My mom was here in May and we talked about that table cover, and about how much the girls would enjoy something similar.

And she decided that since we didn't have a card table, she could just make one for our kitchen table. It would have windows and a door and would magically transform our kitchen table into a playhouse for the girls.

She jotted down some notes and took lots of measurements. And this is what she made!


Isn't that amazing?!?!?

I pull it out of the bag, spread it over the table and voila, instant play space for the kiddos.

I have visions of myself pulling this out nearly every day before dinnertime.


There is only one drawback. The past two days when I have removed the tablecover to start setting the table for dinner I have been astonished at the amount of stuff that the girls have put in their "house". Dolls and toys and books and throw pillows and baby blankets and leftover snack and dress up clothes and crayons. I need a dump truck to haul it all back to its appropriate spot!

But it's worth it :) Thanks mom!

5 comments:

Krisanne said...

That is really cool!

Mom/Grandmama said...

I had a great time planning and sewing the tent - glad the girls like it! I used velcro so we can change out the window/doors coverings for a more "boyish" theme when Isaac gets old enough to care! You can roll up the window and door coverings and secure with the ribbon. Love you all bunches!

Julie Redfern said...

That is awesome! I am getting requests to make one for our table now! I am sure during the winter that will come in very handy. Love Julie

Brent, Sara, Hannah and Sam said...

That is awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Dad looks pretty happy in those fotos - sort of reminds me of the time I got expelled from school - that smile is priceless