Thursday, October 1, 2009

it's probably really very humbling

Maybe she picked this habit up from me, I'm not sure. But Lydia has started inserting the word "probably" into almost every conversation.

It's hilarious. And it sounds like this:

As we turn to the final page in a book about sea animals Lydia sees the picture of the blue whale and says.....
"I love that blue whale. I will probably ride on it."
Me: "You are going to ride that blue whale Lydia?"
Lydia: "I will probably ride on the tail. You can ride in the mouth."

Today we read a book about a kangaroo with no pocket and Lydia says....
"Daddy is probably going to carry Isaac in his pocket."

And as we walk out the door to get Julianna at school she says....
"When I see Julianna I'm probably going to give her a hug."

Julianna has a different little habit. She consistently replaces "really" with "very". So she says things like, "'But Mommy he very very wants a toy." "I very want to." "You know I very don't like it."

[Ok, and as I am typing these words she walks up to me as asks, "Is he very in there?" Now if Lydia would just chime in with a "I'm probably going to go find him" we'd be set!]

I love listening to them and their ever-expanding ability to express themselves. And I try to hide my smiles when they make funny mistakes.

It's humbling to think that while I listen to them make grammatical mistakes or overuse certain phrases, other people get to listen to ME make grammatical mistakes and overuse certain phrases! Even after many years here, my language ability is still far from "native speaker level" and I bet there are lots of folks who have hidden smiles as they've listened to me!

Who knows how many times I've said something and sounded just like a three year old?

4 comments:

Paul said...

people are still saying that about me -- I think Julianna, Lydia, Isaac and I will communicate just probably very well within each.
love GrandDad

Julie Redfern said...

So cute! I love hearing all the cute mixed-up phrases m kids think up. Caroline is always trying to use really bug words and most times she uses them correctly but it is hard not to laugh when they are used incorrectly. Love Julie

Jaci said...

That is so cute! I too love listening to my girls develop their communication skills. I think? they are a little more verbal than my boys were...who would have thought?! :-)

Mom/Grandmama said...

The kids are cute but not any cuter than you were at that age! Wish we had had blogs back then! Love you all bunches!