Sunday, October 4, 2009

the white socks boycott

My girls share an overflowing basket of socks. And probably over half of them are white. Thick and thin. Sporty and Lacy. Knee socks and ankle socks. They have all kinds of white sock possibilities.

But do they ever leave the house with a pair of white socks on their feet? Nope. Not on their own volition, at least. [Sometimes on Sunday morning I stand my ground and insist on white socks, but most days I choose to be wise about which 'battles I pick', and the sock battle doesn't make the cut.]

Oh how they love colorfully decorated socks. The kind of socks that are guaranteed to not match any outfit in their entire closet.

Exhibit A: Monkey faces on pink stripes. Tinkerbell in a lime green dress with hot pink accents on the toes.


The sock picking is an especially lively part of the morning's get-dressed routine. A great deal of thought goes into the selection, and the girls offer tips and advice to one another. Yesterday after the socks were picked out and put on they had second thoughts, and went into detailed consultation about a potential sock-trade before Matt intervened and hurried them off to the breakfast table.

Their selections do make for some interesting color combos. I think these red and navy socks are particularly striking with the purple top, don't you?


And there's nothing quite like this outfit. The purple socks definitely provide that "finishing touch" that brings it all together!


One day Lydia came out of her bedroom sporting a pair of Isaac's socks, complete with little red baseballs and blue stripes at the cuff. Looks like I need to be a bit more attentive when I'm putting away the laundry!

If you ever need help choosing your cotton footwear for the day, I'm sure the girls would be glad to lend a helping hand.

3 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

I think the crowning touch on Julianna's outfit has to be the gray t-shirt with the flag of Norway! Such an elegant undergarment! Absolutely love the blog - thanks so much!

Paul said...

Julianna has some serious style, just look at that pose,
love the post
GrandDad

Anonymous said...

Love seeing all the clothes that Caroline wore! Even the dress I put a seam in and said I made! Caroline's sense of style must be rubbing off on your girls!! Great pictures!
Love Julie