Thursday, October 16, 2008

more flower photos

To fill you in on the details from our flower market/flower arranging class trip yesterday afternoon..

We stopped at one flower shop where the owner taught us some of the basics of flower arranging. First up? Making bows! This was way fun and so easy.....


Then, he showed us some basic flower arranging techniques - your goal is depth, height, and a variety of shapes (circles, triangles, etc) - that about sums up the lesson :)

Here's his finished product:


It's really interesting to me that cultural definitions of "beauty" vary greatly. Erin Ashley and I were the only two foreigners in sight. And while I don't want to criticize the work of a professional, I thought his final product looked a little lopsided. I think we westerners tend to like symmetry. The other girls we went with (all locals) thought he did a great job. They pointed out that it was shaped like an "L", and I should be a special fan of this arrangement since L is, afterall, the first letter of my name. I just thought... an "L" sure is a weird shape for a flower arrangement!

Anyways, then it was our turn. We basically got run of all the flowers in his shop, and created our own masterpieces.


This is when the professional was helpful - he didn't criticize my symmetry, and he had lots of helpful suggestions for adding depth and disguising the floral foam at the base.

Here we are with our finished products! It was so fun :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, super! Can we go back together in November? Those arrangements are gorgeous!

Julie Redfern said...

I agree with your mom! If I ever get out to see you guys then I want to do that too.

Jaci said...

Very fun! I would also love to do that!:)