Monday, October 20, 2008

anyways, then I won't have a sister anymore

My newest bedtime battle? It's not coming from the place you might suspect!

Lydia is still a twice-a-day nap taker... her afternoon nap (usually!) coordinates perfectly with Julianna's, but the other falls right in the middle of the morning. And who fights that nap? Not Lydia! It's Julianna who protests - because she doesn't want to loose her playmate.

These days when I announce, "ok girls, time for Lydia to take a little nap" I typically hear some type of creative objection from Julianna.

"But we're cooking dinner and we are very very hungry so we need to eat first."

or

"She doesn't look very tired, I don't think she wants to take a nap."

In the past week or so I've started hearing this one:

"But anyways, if she has to take a nap then I won't have a sister anymore."

I suppose this one is intended to cut straight to my mother's heart and convince me to let Lydia skip her nap in the interest of developing strong sibling relationships. It doesn't work. Lydia naps. Julianna survives. But it is kinda cute to hear her say it :)

They do have lots of fun together and I love watching them...

whether it's coloring a poster for our friend Uncle Qi (he and his wife invited us to dinner last night)

or playing with a puppy they met outside



Of course, it's not all grins and giggles. Neither will hesitate to look right at her sister and grab a toy straight from her hand. But the good moments make for much better photos!

3 comments:

Jaci said...

That is so sweet!=) Girlies...what a special friendship and bond they will always have! It will be interesting to see if they have another sister or a little brother. Are you finding out?? I would LOVE to know!=)

Anonymous said...

Sweet story and sweet photos - you've done a good job of helping the girls build a sisterhood bond. But Julianna really doesn't want a tired Lydia! Love you all!

Ashlei said...

your such a fun writer. I'm always laughing at your post and then telling Graham about them