Monday, October 13, 2008

learning to use chopsticks

We got Julianna a pair of "trainer chopsticks". I actually haven't seen local kids use them (most little children here stick with the spoon - it's much simpler). But a baby store that carries imported goods had this pair of trainer chopsticks - a Japanese brand (which means I couldn't understand a lick of the instructions, but figured out the basic idea based on the illustrations).

You can't really see in the photo, but there's a little piece that helps hold her hand in the right position, and the chopsticks are bound together at the top so they don't slip and slide in her grip.

They work fantastic! Since we opened them yesterday afternoon, she's used them for every meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner!). I baked cookies yesterday afternoon while the girls slept.... when Julianna woke up she used her new chopsticks to eat her cookie! It's amazing how well she can handle them - she's at least as effective with these trainer chopsticks as she is with a fork and spoon, maybe even better?


5 comments:

Paul said...

awesome!


GrandDad

Unknown said...

I have to say that is one of the cutest pictures I've ever seen. And she definitely looks like a pro. Uncle Paul is right- awesome!

nancy said...

Suddenly Julianna no longer looks like a toddler. She is really starting to look like a little girl! Her face has that little girl look and her hair is starting to get so long. I guess that's what happens when you are on the brink of being three.

Leslie

Anonymous said...

Can you pick up another pair of those trainer sticks for me? I only pretend to use chopsticks reverting to a spoon as necessary. Maybe they'll help me perfect my technique too.

Jaci said...

That is so very cute! And a great talent!:)