Sunday, November 22, 2009

making conversation

The girls say the funniest things.

Recently they've been really into words like bigger, stronger, faster, slower, smaller, taller, etc. Lydia loves to say "look, I'm running faster than daddy." And Julianna is very concerned with ages (after all, she is almost 4!) and always wants to clarify her position in regards to others: Am I older? Am I bigger? Is my hair longer?


They also ask some really ridiculous questions.

"What is bigger, our house or that crane?"

"Can a bus carry our car?"

"Is that train stronger than a dump truck?"

Most of the questions are unanswerable. I mean, buses weren't designed to carry cars, and I have trouble visualizing how that might work... so what do I say? And how exactly do you determine the train vs. dump truck thing?

Then, this morning on the way to church Lydia came up with this one: "Is a forklift strong enough to carry a long piece of string?" Ridiculous. But at least I was confident of the answer.

A few other random examples:

Last week Julianna told me "Isaac is looking more and more like a frog."

Friday night before bed I am talking with Lydia who says, "My hair is a little bit messed up." "No it isn't", I assure her. "But one day it was and daddy fixed it" she exclaims. (Which is even more hilarious if you know that the closest Matt has ever gotten to "fixing" the girls' hair is a brisk rub with the towel after a bath.)

Lydia is also in a groove where she claims "that's my favorite song". All the time. For almost any song that she hears. Right now Julianna is singing Happy Birthday to You (not sure why she is singing it) and Lydia just said "That's my favorite song".

And another funny one from Julianna while she was playing with Isaac: "He wants to grab my face and eat it. But my face has bones in it and they will get stuck in his throat." Ugh.

When referring to her snow coat Lydia says "zipping up it" instead of "zipping it up".

And the other day at breakfast she told me "In 5 more minutes Carolina [her stuffed bunny] will be two and a half." (She gets that from Julianna, who is frequently asking how many more weeks/months/days until she is 4.)

When they say something really funny I often grab a pen and write it down, so I can tell Matt when he gets home. They are so funny I just don't want to forget all these great "conversations" I am having with my little ones.

4 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

I guess you could qualify those exchanges as "conversations"! Only a mother (or grandmother?) would want to write them down and share them - so glad you do! Love you!

Krisanne said...

I'm so glad you write those things down and share them - I was laughing out loud reading this post! So funny! Love you all!

Julie Redfern said...

Those "talks" are always so funny! I love the play with words that kids do. When they say funny things it just reminds me to laugh and not take things so serious. Love Julie

JBC said...

You frequently make me laugh out loud....