Friday, November 13, 2009

just having fun

I'm really tired.

Which makes perfect sense, seeing as how it is already 8:15pm!

Aaaahhh! What is happening to me? I mean, really. How can I be this tired at 8:15?

I get up early. The days are full. And by 8pm, I'm wiped out. So I'm headed to bed pretty soon. Matt is out late and I'll probably be in my second REM sleep cycle before he makes it home :)

Earlier this evening the girls and I read Green Eggs and Ham. It's my current favorite Seuss book. And since I'm the mommy, we get to read my favorites.

Fox in Socks
leaves me tongue-tied and frustrated. The Sneetches are just so dang petty. Although I love to hear Lydia say "zizzer zazzer zuz" I didn't feel up for another round of the ABC book. I can recite The Cat in the Hat from memory ("The sun did not shine, it was too wet to play, so we sat in the house all that cold cold wet day. I sat there with Sally, we sat there we two and I said How I wish we had something to do. Too wet to go out, too cold to play ball so we sat in the house we did nothing at all." ....... It's a great book. But I need a break.)

So we settled on Green Eggs. I like it. I like the rhymes and I like the rhythm. I like the pictures. And I like that I can skip some of the longer passages :) [Shhhh, don't tell the girls]

So we're plowing through Green Eggs, just minutes from bedtime when Julianna looks at one picture and asks, "How come that car is in the tree?" And immediately answers herself, "I bet he [Dr. Seuss] just wanted to have fun."

I smiled, agreed with her and kept reading. Lydia hung on my left arm, insisting over and over that he really did like to eat green eggs and ham. (She'll probably grow up to be the one who always spoils movies by giving away the ending!)

I didn't skip any words in Green Eggs and Ham tonight. I was too busy just having fun. So much fun that I'm going to bed before 9 :)

4 comments:

Julie Redfern said...

That's awesome! I was in bed at 930 the other night and should have gone to bed earlier! I understand. Hope you had a great nights sleep. Love Julie

Paul said...

...but thing one and thing two knew just what to do...

ah the Cat in the Hat, one of my favorites too

love GrandDad

Mom said...

Isn't it wonderful that some children's favorites never go out of style?! Glad your children are enjoying Dr. Seuss and you, for the most part, are enjoying the stories with them! Just think, Julianna will be able to read those stories to Isaac when he's ready to hear them, but then again you may not want to give up that privilege! Hope you're having a good night's sleep too. Love you!

JBC said...

I think you could have some fun with the book "don't let the pigeon drive the bus" if these are the green eggs and ham comments :)