Saturday, February 28, 2009

one rough start

I now know what it will take for me to neglect the blog for a week. One really sick little daughter. (Not to mention 9 months pregnant, living in a new city, in a new apartment with no husband available!)

Turns out whatever little throwing up bug Lydia had on Saturday/Monday was contagious. She shared it with her big sister. Who didn't fight it nearly successfully as Lydia did, and ended up in the ER on Thursday night. At that point I would have begged the ER doc for an iv to get some fluids back into my little Julianna, but I didn't have to..... he took one look at her and ordered it almost immediately. Some anti-vomiting meds calmed her stomach and she hasn't thrown up in over 24 hours (a HUGE improvement.... the night we left for the hospital she was throwing up every 20-45 minutes, even two teaspoons of water came right back up again.)

Matt was on a flight back here the next morning, and arrived about 2:30 Friday afternoon. I am not sure I have ever been so glad to see him! I desperately need rest and relief! Matt is providing an opportunity for me to have both :)

In the midst of a very difficult stretch of time, there is much to be thankful for. We are not at home, but we are in one of the best cities in the country for medical care! The care we received on Thursday night was far superior to what we would have gotten if we had been at home. The house helper who normally works at this apartment has been helping us, and she has helped tremendously with all the mopping and laundry and throw up clean up! We have friends nearby, one of whom came over at 2am to stay here with a sleeping Lydia, and another who went with me to the hospital!

And, mostly, Matt is home! I slept almost 10 hours last night, which is probably about the equivalent of my total sleep from the previous three nights!! That night of sleep alone put a whole new perspective on my day.

Speaking of sleep, I'm on my way to a bit of rest right now - it's that quiet time of the afternoon and I will not be able to keep my eyes open today :)

6 comments:

Danielle said...

ugh! sounds horrible... so glad Matt is there to provide relief. Kayleigh led us in chatting for you guys last night went we went over for dinner at the Greenes and we've been thinking of you a lot! hope things get better and better!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear your voice last night, to know you are getting some much needed rest for you and the little guy on his way, and that Julianna is recovering! We love you! Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm SO thankful things are looking better - we've been thinking of you and praying for you lots! That sure sounded awful. Love you!

Krisanne

Paul said...

Well I too am so relieved to hear that things are turned around, that Julianna is better and we are looking forward to more good news in the coming days. And aren't husbands a good thing to have around!! As one I appreciate the positive recognition the classification of humans occasionally gets.

love
Dad/GrandDad

Matt & Kadie Laughlin said...

So sorry to hear youo had sick little ones :( That is definitely no fun! But am glad that Matt is back and everyone seems to be on the mend! Praying for you guys!

Elisabeth said...

It's so good that Matt's there now - what a rough patch! I'm glad to hear that you're all feeling better now, too.