Sunday, February 1, 2009

If I hear one more firecracker...

I'm moving to Australia!

No, of course not. But I have fantasized along these lines....."what would it be like to wake up and not hear firecrackers anymore?" or "what if I didn't have to pause my conversations every time someone decided they wanted to 'celebrate' with one more string of firecrackers and a cigarette lighter."

Only one more week until the New Year celebration is officially over. I'll be ready to do some celebrating of my own when the last firecracker has been lit. This morning is especially loud, and I'm struggling with a little cultural stress, can you tell?!?!?

But, there is some hope on the horizon. We leave for a week long meeting/conference this afternoon (and the travel to get there doesn't even involve airplanes!) The hotel is in a less-densely populated area, so I have hopes that fewer people = fewer firecrackers. We'll see!

Not at all sure what kind of internet access I will have at the hotel, but I'll try to post again soon with some photos and tales of hotel life :)

2 comments:

The Huffmans said...

Hey friend! Oh how I remember those loud days and nights! I am thinking of you and happy you'll be out of town for a few days. Have a great time. We wish we were there with you!

Leslie said...

Sounds like you've been reading "Alexander and the No Good, Horrible, Very Bad Day", where the little boy vows to move to Australia. As he says at the end of the book - "my mom says they even have bad days in Australia." We hope your time away is restful!