Saturday, February 21, 2009

How was the trip?

How was the trip?

Here's the short version: Lydia threw up four times - the biggest and most damaging happened as our wheels touched down in our new city. What a welcome! But it wasn't as bad as it sounds. Seriously. I mean, really, it was still a lot easier than many of the long journeys we've taken, throw up and all.

Oh, and you'll be glad to know she values fairness - two weeks ago today she threw up all over her daddy. Today? It was ME!

Yes, I had spare clothing for all of us. And, Yes, I stripped her down to just her diaper as we sat on the runway moments after landing. And, Yes, the flight attendant had just announced the ground temperature was 34 degrees. And, for those of you familiar with the local population and their love of an overly-bundled-up baby, Yes, they panicked when they saw my naked 18month old sitting in the seat next to me. Lydia? She was loving it. Must have felt so good after throwing up that she chattered and sang and grinned and went ahead and took her socks off for good measure.

So, it wasn't our smoothest ever travel day. But I've had much longer. And much worse. And now we're here - the girls are napping, Matt is outside exploring our surroundings and I am blogging :) The apartment is GREAT! It's going to be a perfect temporary home. I mostly unpacked, and we got the ipod plugged in so I'm listening to a little Alison Krauss as I chronicle our journey. This blog is part scrap book, part family journal, part fun hobby because I love to write. I write it for me. And for the day our children will grow up and hopefully read it. But I'm glad you can enjoy it too.

So, I'll end with a funny perspective from the day: On the airplane at one point Lydia is sitting on my lap, facing me, and starts pointing to my belly and saying, "open belly open baby". What she wants to do is lift up my shirt and see the huge belly. Which I am fine with at home. Not so fine with in the economy section of a big 'ole airplane with not one single empty seat. So I say, "sorry honey, not right now".

And Julianna looks at her little sister, dead serious, and says, "Lydia we can't open it and get the baby out til we get to our new city". About two hours later, we're outside the door to our new-temporary home and Julianna looks up at me and says, "Are we here yet? Now can we get the baby out?"

Uh-oh. Seems we've got a bit of confusion here. There is still a LOT more waiting to be done, sweet daughter. Even though we've made the big move, the baby won't arrive for a while. Wonder if she's going to be as impatient these last few weeks as I will be :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story of the girls wanting to get the new baby out! They will have a hard time waiting, as will you I'm sure! Except for the throw up glad your trip went well and that you have a great apartment. Love you!

The Huffmans said...

So glad you guys made it there! We were thinking about you. Please take some pics of you guys in your living room there-I need to know where you are so I can picture you when I'm missing you guys!

Jaci said...

Glad you are there and mostly settled!! I have been praying for you! And on a trip Lizzy once threw up on me 8 times...same age as Lydia Only I did NOT have any extra clothes...I will from now on!! Looking forward to hearing the "news"! =)