Sunday, November 2, 2008

rain rain go away

It should not be raining. The rainy season should be over. I should not be trying to figure out how to entertain the girls when we are cooped up inside all day long. This should be one of my favorite times of the year - brisk, but not too cool... perfect playing outside weather. But it IS raining. Again. This morning. And the weather forecast is not hopeful. Argh.

The three of us did not leave the house all day yesterday. Hooray for church this morning, which (although I dread the long ride in to town) provides us with an opportunity for escape from our apartment. Erin Ashley, if you're reading this, I really miss the chance to visit during rainy weather, and let our kids get all their squirrely-ness out!

At 4:30 yesterday afternoon we pulled out the play-doh. Admittedly a risky move, with Lydia at the table. Sure enough, she took her first bite at approximately 4:32. I glanced over and wet, green-ish play-doh globs were spilling from her lips. Yuck. Oh well. What are rainy days for if you're not going to eat a little play-doh?!?!?

Matt walked in the door a little after 5:30. I (actually, we) were desperate for some relief from the boredom! He was soaked after a long day outside (and a lot of time on his bike) in a mostly-driving rain. But it was a warm welcome home!

These are the days when I can romanticize life in America. What if I could load my kids (in carseats) into my minivan (parked INSIDE a garage) and drive to _______(you fill in the blank: the library, the store, a fastfood restaurant with an indoor playland, a friend's house). Or what if we just had a little more room here to stretch out and run around inside the house?

But I know that in reality long, rainy days happen everywhere in the world. And moms think they might go crazy. But they (usually) don't. Afterall, it could be worse. How, exactly, do you entertain kids in an igloo, I wonder?

4 comments:

The Huffmans said...

Bummer for the rain. If it makes you feel any better, I have been loading EG in the carseat to go places and she cries-the whole way. I think American kids like the carseat but not my China baby. We miss you guys and would love to have you over. Hope the rain lets up soon. Loved the murder mystery pics by the way!

Paul said...

well if it rains while I am there we will make some play- doh pies.--sounds like you have a good attitude about it

love

GrandDad

for your sake I hope you have some good weather soon--counting the days

Brent, Sara, Hannah and Sam said...

Hang in there!
Love,
Sara

Heather said...

Laura,
We know how you feel. We just entered the rainy season here in Indonesia...which lasts for six months.
Tripp and I get out everyday when we go to class, but poor Drew and Ella are stuck inside most of the day.
Hope you get some sunny days soon!

Heather