Wednesday, November 12, 2008

how many months worth of groceries??

Most of my groceries come from the local market - fresh fruits, veggies, meat, dry goods. But not everything that my western-cooking heart desires is available at an open-air market! So, it's in to town that I go.... to one of the "western-ish" grocery stores. I try to limit my in-town trips, since it requires lots of time and money to get there, and also because I just like to simplify life :)

My last trip was two months ago, and I am now convinced I can go at least three months between trips - that's my goal for the spring semester! But with the holidays and lots of visitors right around the corner, I was due for a BIG shopping trip and decided today was the day.

The girls don't join me for these trips, but they do love to check out all the loot when I get home. Then, they help me stock the pantry with all our goods.

Lydia woke up first from her afternoon nap, and she made a beeline for the stuff, which I had left sitting inside the front door for the three of us to unload together. She sat down right beside the biggest bag, and started to pull out goodies. (Stores here do not provide plastic shopping bags, so shoppers bring their own bags, and bag their own stuff. I use this great big bag from Ikea along with some other sturdy shopping bags.)


Then she decided she wanted to get a better look at the goods.....

...and headed off to find another vantage point....


.... was momentarily distracted by the challenge of emptying my purse, which I had left lying beside the bags.....

.... and then headed back to the pile.


Julianna is my best "bag-unpacker". She faithfully empties each bag, exclaims over the purchase, and then brings it to the pantry for me to stock. We now possess 9 jars of peanut butter (6 crunchy - for eating, and 3 creamy - for baking). Other goodies? 4 cans of Duncan Hines cake icing, Digestives for making graham cracker pie crust, a large jar of mayo, bbq sauce, canned creamed corn, Ritz crackers, lots of sizes and shapes of pasta and even two cans of refried beans!

I was disappointed to leave without lasagna noodles (again! they have been impossible to find for almost the entire fall), boxed heat treated whipping cream (for making sour cream and whipped topping) and pepperoni. Oh well.

After the bags were emptied, the girls got in the biggest bag and pretended they were "sailing home in their boat". [Notice that Lydia is holding a half-eaten jar of peanut butter - she's a better at emptying the pantry than loading, so it's a race against time for Julianna and me as we try to get everything put away while Lydia takes advantage of the open pantry doors to search for interesting stuff!]

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun and sweet girls you have!
-cousin Susan

The Huffmans said...

Way to go! Now what is up with no pepperoni and lasagne noodles for the past 6 months?! Hope you have a great time with your family! Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Wow - I'm impressed! We're excited to share in the cooking of some of those goods soon:) We're back in GF now so mom and I will have to start doing some more brainstorming for Christmas. I hear Lydia is walking all over - they are both so cute and precious! Love you all!
~Krisanne

Leslie said...

We used our great big Ikea bag at Trader Joe's a few weeks ago and the bagger said she was scared of the Ikea bags. They hold so much stuff and she worries about piling all that stuff in one bag. I think it is great! Now, when I use my Ikea bag, I load it in the back of the minivan and haul it home. How do you get yours home?

Julie Redfern said...

Are you craving food? I can tell you are pregnant since the last 2 posts have been about food! Love you! Julie

Anonymous said...

Duncan Hines frosting? China isn't what it used to be. :)