Sunday, August 3, 2008

thinking about Lydia

I've been thinking about Lydia a lot these last few days. Her first birthday is only 12 days away. 12 short days. Only 12 more days in her first year of life.

Now, you have to know that my personal theory is that the first birthday celebration is much more about the mom than the kid. I mean, seriously, her first year has been pretty cushy - food, comfort and love, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For the momma though, that first year isn't quite as cushy! After all, who is the source of most of that food, comfort and love? Now, who do you think deserves a celebration? Mom or kid?

All that aside, it is amazing to reflect on her first year of life. We had our long long days (and nights!), but it's gone so very fast. I weaned her a few weeks ago and she already seems so much older, so much less "baby" and so much more "toddler". (Although it'll be a bit before she walks I think - she's walking holding on to both of our hands, but hasn't yet ventured into the "walking with only one hand of support" realm.)

So I'm just enjoying lots of memories and reflecting back on our first year together. And loving the fact that in the midst of all the "growing up", she's still happiest when she's cuddling with me. Lydia, you're a true momma's girl! And I love it!

2 comments:

Patt said...

Sweet momma's perspective! And Lydia is looking more and more like Julianna! Love, Mom/Grandmama

Jaci said...

Wow! The year has gone fast hasn't it? I have to admit I love that my Abby is a mama's girl too...I really wouldn't want it any other way:)

Wish we could come to her party!