Tuesday, August 12, 2008

4 days to go

Only 4 more days til Lydia's birthday, and the anticipation is building. We opened up two packages and the girls dug into the gifts - but didn't open any!


Well, Julianna did open one un-wrapped gift - a set of dress up stuff, including earrings and high heels. She has taken the necklace off only to sleep.



Here are the girls waiting to dig into the stuff :)


It's also only 4 more days until Matt and I leave for Beijing - that's right, we leave the night of Lydia's first birthday. Actually, a confession: when we were first planning the trip last October, we almost accidentally scheduled it so that we were NOT HERE for Lydia's birthday. It was kind of a last minute thing, and we were scrambling to get flights, and were ready to buy a plane ticket for Aug 14th when it hit me - "no way Matt, we can't leave the 14th, Lydia's birthday is the 15th!" So we quickly changed our flights and scheduled it so that we leave for the airport right after Lydia goes to bed.

Here's my disclaimer for why I almost missed my child's first birthday: I had just returned to China (30 hours of travel, 13 time zones crossed) with a newborn and 21 month old. My first month back was easily one of the most difficult I've ever lived (endured? survived?) and I reached depths of sleep deprivation I never dreamed possible. I still maintain I can't be held responsible for any decisions I made between mid-September and mid-October 2007 :)

But I AM GLAD that we made the decision to go to the Olympics. I'm so excited!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, looks like Lydia is going to give Julianna a run for her money in opening packages! Julianna looks marvelous in her girly stuff! Enjoyed our webcam last night! Love you all and miss you!

Julie Redfern said...

Caroline loves her dress-ups. WIll even has on a cinderella dress and a fire fighters hat right now!
Enjoy going to the games! Justin and I are jealous that you guys are getting to go.
Love Julie

Anonymous said...

Matt, I just love that photo of the girls opening the box - Lydia fascinated by the plastic bubble wrap and Julianna with her head stuck in the box hoping for more!