Friday, August 1, 2008

44 pounds of cheese

Remember when I bought a huge block of mozzarella cheese at a bulk market in town earlier this summer? Remember how I wanted mozzarella AND cheddar, but the shop-lady assured me that mozzarella was the only kind of cheese in the world?

Well, my friend Danielle was determined to find the cheddar - and she did! Went back to the same area I had scoured earlier this summer (but with more time and more patience!) and she found cheddar - in 20 kilo blocks! Have you ever seen 44 pounds of cheddar cheese? It looks like this:
To help with scale - that's a canister set on the counter top behind the cheese.

Here's another photo of the cheese sitting in her stairwell (that's the cheddar on the bottom, and a box of cream cheese on the top).


Four families are splitting the chunk 'o cheddar. But first, Danielle has to figure out out how to cut the 20 kilo frozen cheese into four sections - I recommended using a chain saw :)

Once I get my chunk, the shredding will begin! The shredded mozzarella from earlier this summer is in our fridge and I'm using it with abandon (it was an ingredient in tonight's chicken tetrazini). Matt and our dinner guests all headed out to watch the second Narnia movie after dinner - with no subtitles, I knew I'd be way too tired to track with the movie and was happy to volunteer to stay home with sleeping little girls.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh my! And I thought the five pound block that I bought at Sam's last week was huge. Do you shred it by hand? We used the food processor. Cheddar is much easier to shred than mozzarella.

Patt said...

Wow, have some cheese! Maybe that block came from one of the US cheese subsidy caves where we store cheese we can't sell after paying farmers to make it! Lots of shredding ahead! Love, Mom/Grandmama

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow! Good thing kids love cheese!
Love Julie
Happy shredding!

Rob and Carrie said...

That is too funny!

Lori said...

I have never seen a block of cheese SO big...my kids would go crazy over it (they love cheese!)!!! :-)

Ashlei said...

I bought the same 44 pound block of cheese. It lasted almost all year. Life is crazy. We put it in our newsletter and got so many comments people are still asking about it a year later