Monday, August 4, 2008

I'm addicted

The Beijing Olympics start in just a few days.... on August 8th, at 8:08pm. That's 8-8-08, 8:08pm, in case you didn't catch all those "8"s.

In China, 8 is a lucky number. People just LOVE the number 8 - you can even fork over extra cash to have a cell phone number with a long string of 8s in it (I didn't bother). Anyways, I just love the way the Beijing organizing committee subtly worked all in all that 8-luck.

But, regardless of whether or not I think 8 is a lucky number, I can guarantee you what I'll be doing at 8pm this Friday! Watching the opening ceremonies! I can't wait! I've been trying to hold off on posting about the Olympics, because I'm afraid it's going to dominate the blog for a week or two, but I can resist no longer. I spent the past hour reading features and vignettes of athletes and teams and gold medal hopes. This is my new hobby. My new addiction. I'm drowning in articles I want to read and things I "need to know" before the Games begin.

Oh, and in case you didn't know, here's the best part: We're going!!!!!!!!! One evening last October Matt and I sat down on the couch, logged on to our favorite discount airfare site, and checked prices to Beijing. We couldn't resist. After we bought the airplane tickets, we entered the Chinese ticket lottery (open to citizens and certain types of visa holders). Two months later we learned that we got tickets to two different track and field events, and one water polo match. We leave Friday the 15th for a four day trip - without the kids :( We're hoping to pick up more tickets while we're there (we've even done a little ticket shopping on ebay).

Oh yeah, and about the water polo....one of the teams we'll see is Montenegro. Never heard of the Montenegrin water polo team? It's a bit more news-worthy than you might imagine. I'll update you in my next post!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am excited about the olympics too and I don't even live in the host country! That is very exciting that you get to go see some of the events. Here's hoping that some of the Crissman ways of getting tickets at an event rub off on you guys. Have fun!
Love Julie

Paul said...

Laura was great at getting tickets to Wake football games in the parking lot outside the stadium as a kid. So I am betting that she will do well with scalpers outside the events in Beijing too.

love Dad

Unknown said...

Laura, you have no idea how jealous I am that you get to go to the Olympics. I am a fellow Olympics Addict... I can't get enough of them. And that cheese- holy cow! I laughed so hard when I saw that picture. I have one request, try to get tickets to a gymnastics event. That is still my favorite summer olympics event.

love,
Karen

Patt said...

Wow, wasn't aware that you had caught the Olympic fever so bad! Hope your ticket scalping skills hold up - if nothing else a young American couple speaking fluent Chinese should get you lots of attention (as it already does)! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for Friday either! Going to the Olympics is on my 'To Do' list for life! Good Luck getting tickets! Just the other day I mentioned what fun and success all of us had at getting tickets at WFU games!
Love,
Susan

Jaci said...

I will look forward to reading your insights on the Olympics. I am so glad that you are going to be able to go!!

I am looking forward to it too...I especially LOVE to watch the gymnastics.:)

kkvernen said...

We are especially excited about the gymnastics as Shawn Johnson who is favored to win gold is from Des Moines. If you get to see her perform, give an extra holler for us here is Iowa. We are so excited for you to experience the Olympics up close and personal!!!!
Kristi