Thursday, May 10, 2012

starting the harvest

We got our garden planted the week before Luke was born.  And now both - Luke and our garden - are approaching the two month mark. 

And both are growing like crazy. 

That big green patch in the foreground is cilantro.  We staked our cherry tomatoes last weekend.  And our little cabbage is just about ready for eating! 



The children continue to enjoy the whole concept, especially the dirt-digging and the watering and the produce-picking.  Tonight I once again called from the kitchen, "can you bring me some 香菜?" and all three quickly responded with handfuls of cilantro. 


Today's cilantro went straight into the coleslaw I was mixing up.  I should have added some to the black bean salad we had with supper.  And we'll put a bit of garnish on the hummus I plan to make tomorrow.  It's definitely summer cooking season. 


With temps in the low 90s we have lots of excuses to pick (our little patch of) produce and eat lots of cold meals!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Looks like it will be a good harvest! I accidentally cut back all my cilantro, it had gotten huge over the winter. I'm pretty bummed!

JBC said...

Great job on the garden guys! We love you!