Monday, May 14, 2012

I'd choose this

These four made me a mother. 


This motherhood thing, it's without doubt the hardest job I have ever done. 

Wears me out, body and soul. 

Here where we live families with multiple children are incredibly uncommon.  The hateful one-child policy skews and distorts an entire populace and their subsequent understanding of parenthood, of motherhood, of family.  Over and over again I am questioned about our choice to have more than one child.  Over and over again I am assured that my choice was a poor one, that my children will take too much of my time, my energy, my money. 

Ultimately, what my children take from me is my selfish desire to live for myself.  What do they give?  Oh, immeasurable riches.  Unspeakable joy. 

They give trial and pain and heartache and sleepless nights and frustrating days.  They wear me out, body and soul.

But if I had to choose one thing worth spending my life on, spending myself on......  I'd chose this. 

4 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

A lovely mother's day message, Laura. I know you love your job - it shows in so many ways! Love you all and miss you too!

Kayla Rupp said...

Thank you for writing this blog post. It was wonderful for me to read today.

Love,
Kayla

Kristie Ansley said...

I wholeheartedly agree! What better way to root out our selfishness and truly be sanctified than to daily lay down our lives in service to little ones who are in need of so much physically and spiritually? They bring me closer to Jesus every single day! What a glorious place to be!

Casey Spark said...

Such a sweet post-I'm teary eyed:) I love hearing how you process life and share the good and hard. I love your vulnerability and you most definitely point me to Jesus. Thanks Laura!