Saturday, December 21, 2013

the other end of the smart phone

For 5 weeks I've bombarded Matt with photos.  And videos.  And voice texts. 

His absence makes me even more aware of how precious the moments really are - my heart hurts that he misses these little things.  (Reality is that I sometimes feel like that at the end of a day - how can he leave for work and know he's going to miss hours of these kiddos ... and of course, he misses hours of grumbling and complaining and whining too.  I guess it's an even trade off?)

Life is not all smiles and photographic moments, despite the pictures in this post.  In fact, I think I'll start off with this one (from a few weeks ago) just so you can see how good John Paul is at expressing disappointment with Mommy.  In this case I had just told him he could not pick at Grandmama's flowers.  Quick as a flash the lower lip was out and tears flooded the eyes! 


But in the brighter moments I'm reaching for my phone, sending pics across the ocean.  Yesterday I took these....
Isaac drew this picture of a snowball fight.  That's me on the left (wearing a dress, which is why my legs look short).  Isaac (on the right) clarified that his snowball was both larger and faster than mine.  Looks like I better watch out when we head to the snow-covered north! 

Isaac learning to wink

It's tricky.  Just ask me.  I can't wink. 

Making "welcome Daddy" posters (didn't send this one to Matt, don't want to ruin the surprise!)

The finished products.  It'll be a while before the glue dries on a few of these :)

Christmas cookie decorating

and eating, of course!

Our smart phone saga is coming to a close though - Matt is already en route, on his first airplane.  It's another 25 hours before he arrives, but it feels SO good to know he is getting closer every minute!  I can't wait to  have him here, with us, watching these silly drawings take shape, and getting a good look at Isaac's new winking skills, and admiring his posters and eating our cookies. 

4 comments:

Susan said...

Great job with the winks Isaac! Are you going to do an hourly countdown? :) I know you are all so excited to be a 'whole' family again!

Grandma Jan said...

Love the post. Can't sit today out in the snow with the kiddos. Snowballs and all. Love you all. Jan

Grandma Jan said...

Correction, Can't wait to play out in the snow with the kiddos. Need to proof read, Grandma.

Julie Redfern said...

Yay! For getting the family whole again. I understand the separation communication deal. Been through it too many times for too long!!