Monday, December 9, 2013

the Lady Wolfpack (at Reynolds)

As a child I spent many hours in Reynolds Coliseum, home of the Wolfpack.  Both my parents hold graduate degrees from NCSU (we lived in married student housing, though I don't remember it - not even two years old at the time). 

And after we moved off campus we didn't go far - I grew up within a short drive of the State campus and while everyone knew our first loyalties were with the Demon Deacons of Wake Forest we cheered long and loud for the Wolfpack too.


So when Dad mentioned a Lady Wolfpack game I was sold from the get-go.  Such a great way to spend a cold rainy Sunday afternoon!  (Mom home with the littlest two napping while Dad and I took the bigs to the game.)


My Dad loves collegiate athletics.  He's a long time season ticket holder at WFU and never one to pass up a seat at Carter-Finley, or just about anywhere else the ACC is playing (football or basketball).  He and my uncles would take whole troops of us little cousins along for tailgating at Wake, I told the kids this afternoon how they would plop us down inside big black trash bags to keep us warm on colder football days! 

To watch my kids experience the excitement today was such a gift.  They loved every minute of the experience, from our jog to the courtside (we were buying our general admission seats last minute as the Star Spangled banner played inside) to our half time visit to meet the Lady Wolf.


Yep, we all dressed in red!  Even though I traded my allegiances to the Tar Heels when I left for college I'm not ashamed to wear a little red when visiting Reynolds. 


They loved it all - the pep band, the players, the scoreboard, the cheerleaders, the time outs, the popcorn, the whole experience was a big win. 


The Lady Wolfpack pulled off a nice win over Elon (a 40 pt spread at the end).  And we all know how much nicer it is to cheer for the winning team :) 

There's no telling how many hundreds of hours I spent as a child watching Wake play (and State too).

This opportunity to go with my kiddos and Dad on game day - just so thankful. 

2 comments:

Julie Redfern said...

Love it!! I have so many great memories of tail-gating at Wake games, being hustled through the turn-stile (not enough tickets for all the kiddos), and the M&M's and sprite!! Love that you were able to take the big kids!!

Erin said...

Fun! (Though I'm hoping to see your kids sporting some tarheel blue at some point in the future!!! HEHE.) Glad you're here!!!!