Thursday, December 5, 2013

all the many questions

Hello little miniature sponges.  Welcome to America. 

My children are in question-asking-hyper-drive.  This is what it sounds like in the car.....

What are the green signs for? 

What about those arrows? 

What does 'exit only' mean?

If the speed limit is 55 why are you driving 61?  [Julianna can see the dashboard from her back-row seat.  Yes, she totally asked this, and not at all in a condemning tone, just perfectly curious!] 

Why are some signs blue/brown? 

When will we see another brown sign?

How come some roads have numbers?  (Hwy 70 west, Hwy 50 north)

Why are you parking like this?  [In China I always back in to the space, always, and so does everyone else.  I'm contextualizing here and pulling straight in more often.]

Why don't you park closer?  (It's a handicapped space.)

What is a handicapped space? 

What is that clicking noise? [It's my turn signal! Ha!  Shows that the turn signal is not a big part of Asian driving!]

Why does every house have a number?  [We do have street addresses in China, but they aren't a big direction marker and not frequently used, or even visible.]

Even the bank has a number??!!??  Does every single building have a number?

It's awesome.  As long as I am up for the many many questions.  Today en route to the library (trip #3 already!  we're in love.) I explained the street numbering address system and we all agreed it was a pretty great idea.  "So easy to find something, just check the number where you are and then go up or down."

I even explained the streets/avenues grid system we'll encounter next month when we head to the upper midwest. 

Still, they were a little incredulous that every building had a number.  I guess it seemed like a lot of work to them. 

And then, while stopped at a traffic light, I heard Julianna's voice again, "Look!  Even the poles have numbers!" 

The tone of her voice said more than her actual words.  It's crystal clear that this little girl thinks the whole numbering system has gone one step too far.  Numbering the telephone poles?  What's next?!?! 

I LOVE THIS PART OF OUR LIVES!  LOVE IT!  I love how big their worlds are and how much they learn just by living life. 

Recently Isaac asked about a friend he had just met: "What country does she live in?"  In his mind, this is a very pertinent question. 

Isaac is also the one who, when the plane lands, almost always asks "What language do they speak here?"  It doesn't matter if we were on the plane 45 minutes or 14 hours, he asks. 

They've asked about price tags (Why don't they just put 5 dollars, I mean 4.99 is practically the same thing, it would be easier).  No surprise that the follow up questions were about sales tax.  (With no sales tax in China the price you see is the price you get, simple as that.) 

They ask about the credit card swipe machine at the grocery store check out.  The "double mailboxes" (one for the mail, one for the newspaper).  Intersections with no traffic light (few and far between in our land of dense housing and crowded roads - practically every intersection needs a light!) 

Why does the bus say CAT on it? (it's Capital Area Transit, kids)  Why is the library free?  Why Why Why?

The questions are relentless.  My Dad even observed, "I did not realize how often I have to say I don't know why such and such is that way."  They ask about everything

They know they are in new territory.  And they are determined to learn the ropes.  They're off to a great start, that's for sure.  If only I can keep up this pace! 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

it made me want to travel with them. i bet ill learn a lot. curiosity is such a great a gift. miss you very much. susan

Julie Redfern said...

Sounds exhausting and fun all at the same time! Will is great at asking questions while driving around. The stuff those kids can come up with!!

Anonymous said...

Laura, You're ASK.Mom...the newest web site for your cherubs. Love their thinking & reasoning.
Romans 12:12
My newest go to verse
Love BN

Anne Marie said...

I love this post! so funny. Your kids are just the cutest

Cheryl said...

Oh, to be able to see things through a child's eyes! This is a wonderful time of learning. And I agree with Susan - it made me want to travel around with you!

Kelly said...

I had to read this post to Brian... loved it!