Friday, December 13, 2013

keeping up with Daddy

It's been over three weeks since we bid Matt a teary goodbye.  Now that we're on the home stretch of these weeks apart (he gets in late next Saturday night, we'll be generous and say that's a week from now, more or less!).... anyways, now that we are on the home stretch I'm very eager to see him, yet very grateful for the many sweet ways God is carrying us through this time.


With so much technology at our disposal I feel like Matt and I could be in almost constant contact (unless he is asleep or I am asleep!)  We trade text and voice and video and photo all the time.  The longer Skype-type conversations are not as frequent (we usually try to plan those out a few days in advance, so both of us can block of a period of time to be on the phone). But shorter phone calls are easy - he's able to do a quick Skype and say goodnight to child in bed.... so precious to see my little one cuddled in bed in the dark, hunched over the glow of a cell phone talking to Daddy.  [Of course I would MUCH MUCH rather see them doing it in person, but my heart swells with gratitude that we have this available to us!]

Matt makes personal mini videos for the kids and on the nights they can't talk they BEG to watch 'one of their videos from Daddy'.  He speaks to each one individually, prays for them, cracks jokes, etc .... it's just a super neat added blessing to a Momma who is tucking many little ones in bed many nights in a row.

John Paul and Luke might think Matt moved inside my phone!  John Paul carries my phone around and whenever he sees a picture or video of Matt says "hey Daddy it's John Paul".  He has a hard time differentiating between the real live Skype session and a video or voice message or photo.

And tonight I was getting one of Isaac's videos cued up for him (the media library on my phone is chock full!) and as soon as Luke heard Matt's voice he practically tackled me trying to get the phone out of my hands.

Matt sends silly photos, like this one of him eating cookies I baked and left in the freezer for him ;)
My kids know their Daddy and his love for cookies!  

While none of these fun techno-treats are a decent substitute for the real man, I am so thankful that we have them.  I'm also so thankful that we are here.  One big reality is that since we left our home in China Matt has spent many many nights on the road.  I'm thankful he has the freedom to really invest in some of these trips, even staying longer than he 'normally' would, if he was heading home to see us.  I'm thankful that instead of solo-parenting through much of the holidays I am living with my parents (support network extraordinaire!)


He also sends pics of the places he roams!  We all recognize this one, down at the river
that runs near our apartment - this is where we get all our rock-throwing done :)

And I'm thankful that when Matt joins us here in America the early weeks of transition will be behind us - what a sweet way to bless him with a single-person-entry instead of the wearying nature of an entire family in massive upheaval.

Today (Friday, China time) is his last day on the road.  Until next weekend, that is, when he heads over the Pacific en route to all of us!!!!  As blessed as this time has been (such sweet times with my parents, friends here, everything... so worth it all!) as blessed as it has been, I am more than ready for us to be a complete family again.

And tomorrow (Friday, America time) is John Paul's ear tubes surgery.  Should be pretty straight forward... he's scheduled for the procedure at 10am, and we hope to be home mid-afternoon.  Isaac and my Mom going with us (over to UNC Children's Hospital).  Dad will be manning to fort here at home with the two girls helping and Luke underfoot.  The girls wanted to go with JP and me but they were out late for a Cinderella play this evening and need a morning to sleep late!  (Mom, the boys and I pull out about 7:30 for the drive to Chapel Hill.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such a tender-sweet post, Laura. Isn't 21st century technology amazing!
Praying for John Paul as he goes through surgery & recovery this morning and for safe travels for Matt. What a joyful reunion you all will have!
robin