Saturday, December 28, 2013

the Cookie Caper


This morning we kicked off some extended family celebrating with a revival of the Cookie Caper.  My great aunt Eleanor started this tradition, inviting me and my many cousins to her home during the holidays to make cookies.  Aunt Eleanor was the sister of my paternal grandmother (who died when I was two years old) and she was bound and determined to provide a living link to my grandmother (her sister Doris).

And she did a really good job of it too!  You can't host a cousin-filled cookie making day and not make a memory or two along the way.

So this year when my cousin Susan suggested we revive the tradition with the newest generation - well, the answer was easy.  "We're coming!"

First up, mixing the dough... Isaac with my cousin Meg's daughter Margaret.  


Julianna and Lydia busy helping my Aunt Beth with a batch of Holly Berries (marshmallows plus butter plus corn flakes plus red hots - yum yum yum)


Getting serious about cookie making...




Susan keeping the older crew on track.  This was the easy part :)  Once the bigger set of cousins finished up we brought the littles in for some fun. 


When the two and under crowd stepped up to the counter things got a little bit busier for us Moms.  (check our Ryan, Susan's son, with just a teeny tiny taste!) 


Hello full kitchen (big kids doing crafts in the background)


Passed the camera to my cousin James and - yay! - photographic evidence that I do exist :)  All too often the camera is in my hands and I appear in exactly 0.8% of our photos! 


And seriously, is this little guy old enough to make cookies?


oh yes he is.  And pretty proud of his handiwork too.


And the men?  Golfing.  Frost on the course delayed their tee time a bit, but check out that gorgeous blue sky! 


Today was just the beginning - the whole crew, plus a bunch more, gather tomorrow for more good times.  As a child this family Christmas was always a holiday highlight for me - so thankful to be here for it this year!

6 comments:

Julie Redfern said...

After seeing all the fun you guys are having it makes me even more bummed that we aren't there! The CFC is a highlight from past Christmases for sure! Have lots of fun tomorrow and I can't wait to see the pictures.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome idea!! It certainly looks like it was SO much fun!

Kate C.

Anonymous said...

Oh, look at Luke. i wish i could pinch his chubby face even though it's a cultural shock for you.:) miss you very much. susan

Anonymous said...

What a fun day - and sweet memories you now have! That's a lot of kids in the kitchen!!!
Happy New Year!
robin

Susan said...

It was a fun day for sure! I'm glad there was photo evidence of me too! :)

JanCaro said...

Wish I'd seen it - Mom would be so happy her Cookie Capers gave you all such wonderful memories and proud that you are passing the tradition along. But how did Mom manage on her own? Just how angelic were you guys?

Janet