Wednesday, December 12, 2012

handprints. and encouraged

Last year we made these hand print ornaments and as I watched them take their places on the tree I decided I wanted to do another hand print ornament this year.  But, like most ideas these days, I hold everything loosely.  I'm not floating too high above the survival line these days.  

A week or so ago I spotted this precious idea and started dreaming that we could maybe, maybe make it happen.  So yesterday afternoon I strapped both little boys into their chairs and got out the paints. 

We started with white-paint covered hands and silver Christmas ball ornaments. 


I managed to get John Paul's prints, but Luke eluded me.  I think I might be able to pull off a foot print for him, but I'm going to have to wait for a moment when he's not in pajamas (hello, almost never!) so I can get his foot painted, and printed, and washed in record time. 

While the paints were out we decided to get serious with the brushes.  Big Three ONLY. 



And then after dinner we used paint pens to add embellishments to our finger-print-turned-snowmen.  Hats, scarves, buttons, eyes and noses.  


(sorry bad phone-photo quality, our camera screen is not working and I sent it in to be repaired.  Let's hope we get it back within a week because NO WAY am I missing photos of Luke and John Paul's first Christmas!!!!)

I think they turned out great.  In a perfect world I would have used blue balls, and it would have worked better if they had more of a 'matte' finish, I'm afraid the paint will chip off these shiny silver ones.  But I don't live that close to Christmas decorating supplies, you know?  Still... I have my eyes open.  If I see the perfect blue Christmas balls we might re-do them. 


Totally different note: We've had a hard couple of days.  Between John Paul and Luke I feel like I am constantly on the defensive, heading off the next catastrophe.  Toss in some simple challenges (like making dinner, or switching laundry from washer to dryer, or parenting three other children) and I loose serious ground.  I am so desperately aware of how much wisdom and grace I need these days. 

So this morning, which was already tough (and not that old yet) I wandered over to a pack of mail that arrived in a package on Monday.  The first ten envelopes I opened were notes of encouragement and prayer.  I was teary before I got half way through them. 


Perfect timing.  I am not alone.  I have the Lord.  And I have the encouragement of his people. 

Thank you.  

5 comments:

Grandma Jan said...

Very special times for you and you will always remember these times because of your faithful journaling in your blog. What a huge keepsake for your entire family. And ps. The hand painted ornaments are just preciously beautiful. Don't need to be blue for my sake. Love you. Jan

Susan said...

Love the ornaments! Hang in there - you are definitely not alone!

Anonymous said...

So many things say "you're not alone" but when feeling dip to the overwhelming, alone is the word. PTL for timely mail.
I'm going to try the handprint snowmen,too!!gr8 idea!

Leslie said...

Cute ornament. Do you have any Modge Podge or sealant spray or even Elmer's glue and water that you can paint over the prints to seal them?

So glad for the encouragement for you.

Julie Redfern said...

I have been feeling that way too lately! Those ornaments are so sweet! I had a friend try them with her 7 month old and she couldn't get it either!!