Saturday, December 22, 2012

newest update (saturday morning)

John Paul had a long hard afternoon and evening yesterday (Friday).  It is so difficult to be here at home (with my other four constantly snuggling up to, soaking up the contact after two days away) but also to know how much I want to be at the hospital. 

I debated heading back over last night but Matt convinced me the best way I could help was to stay home with our other four, sleep, and come back at 110% capacity on Saturday morning.  So I did. 

Three loads of laundry, (almost) ten hours of sleep and two showers later I'm loading up to go back.  Three of our kids will stay with a neighbor for a few hours while I switch shifts with Matt.  I'll take Isaac with me (he begged to go see Daddy and did not want to be shuffled off to another care giver!)

Thankfully, we have support here at home and the hospital too.  It's amazing how much faster the time passes when there are people visiting, even if you are busy trying to comfort a very uncomfortable toddler. 

7 years ago I spent December 23rd in a hospital with newborn Julianna.  This year I'll spend it there with John Paul (different hospital, different city).  This morning we made cupcakes and tomorrow Matt will bring everyone up to visit for pizza and cupcakes birthday lunch.  (Thankfully we already celebrated big earlier this month!!)

There is a part of me really hoping they'll let us go home the afternoon of the 23rd but it depends on how well these next 24 hours go.  Initially they told us they could remove the iv port Saturday evening (today) but I'm not sure that will happen unless he has a really good day. 

PS - Matt just called and said John Paul is perking up a bit!  He ate a good-sized breakfast and has the energy to get really mad and throw a fit!  This is unusual behavior from him (he's not normally one to throw a fit) but I'm just glad he has the energy to fight!  If the roof of my mouth was a gauze covered mass of stitches I just might throw a fit too :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful that the doctor feels that the surgery went well. Praying that you all are home soon! love, Whitney