Saturday, December 15, 2012

when he's gone

If there is anyone around here who doesn't get enough blog time it's Matt.   So when he sent me these two pictures yesterday I thought they would be perfect to post.

Matt traveled less this fall than he has in a very very long time.  And I am one thankful wife!  It was pretty much the perfect season to have him home.  It probably won't stay like this, but for now, I'm grateful.  And I am glad when he can travel too, I know he is a tremendous blessing to the people he visits.


This is totally how I picture him when he's away.  He almost always sends photos to the kids of trains, airplanes, subways, whatever.




[Yes, our airports are built with jet ways.  And there are almost always open jet ways available.  But for some reason we usually board from the tarmac.  Our kids actually prefer this option.....  and you have to agree that walking down a carpeted tunnel doesn't really compare to standing next to a passenger jet.]

Check out that blue sky, will you?  The blue sky is where he landed.... (not here) but still it reminded me that this winter has been beautiful!  We've had a handful of days in the 40s, but mostly mid to upper 50s.  And VERY LITTLE RAIN!!!!!  Even blue skies on occasion.  Last year this time I was beginning my descent into mild seasonal depression.  The gray overcast skies and constant damp/drippy weather was taking its toll.  It was a looooooong tough haul for me from December to March.

But this year?!?!  No way!  Even when it does take me 15 minutes to get out the door it's worth it!  I'm especially grateful because this winter is logistically my most challenging and demanding - it's a tremendous gift that the outdoors is still so welcoming.  [Matt remembers differently and says the worst of the wet winter gray was January/February.  Even if that's the case, the good news is we'll be in Thailand and my biggest weather concerns will be sunscreen and melting ice cream.  I can handle that!] 

On the stomach bug front: Isaac is slowly improving.  It hasn't been pretty.  Sweet guy was just really really sick.  No one else seems to be showing any signs so we're hanging in there, and hopeful. 

2 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

It's less convenient but I do like walking across the tarmac too - very exciting for the kids to see that big plane up close!

Grandma Jan said...

So glad Isaac is on the mend. Here's hoping and praying it will be the end for all of you. Kinda liked walking the Tarmac myself. It is fun to be right up next to the big ol plane. Hoping for many blue skies for you guys too. We're hoping for snow. Love you all. Jan