Friday, November 2, 2012

making applesauce UPDATED

My children could eat their body weight in applesauce.  But for the past year or so I've kind of avoided making it.... lots of peeling and chopping work and my reward was noisy-slurping off the spoon children who licked the bowls and said "is there any more?"

But I have remedied the situation, just in time for John Paul's post-surgery soft foods diet.  (Also in faith that Luke will one day eat some mushy-solid food!)

The raw material:


(Also, you've now been introduced to my counter space.  You're looking at 90% of it.... to the right of the sink is the dish drying rack and my stand mixer, left of the stove is just enough space for a 9x13 baking pan.) 

Back to the applesauce.

And the counter top with my new electric pressure cooker (love) and apple peeler/corer/slicer (love).  I'm not a kitchen gadget-y person, but these two are just awesome.  The pressure cooker is great for huge batches of rice (always necessary when we serve guests) and it cooks beans in 30 minutes (no overnight soak required) and does a bunch of other handy kitchen things too.  Good good investment for our family. 

Now the apple peeler/corer/slicer is a pretty great piece of equipment.  As you probably guessed it peels, cores, and slices.... in about five seconds per apple. 



Break the rings apart and it makes perfectly thinly sliced pieces for your favorite toddler.  Or big kids.  I'll get it out at lunch and run five or six apples for me and the kids to munch on. 


I slide the apple off the core and toss it straight in the pressure cooker.  When the pot is mostly full, the pressure cooker does it's thing for about twenty minutes and....


Applesauce.  Yum.  [You can still see a few of the 'apple rings' - a few stirs with a big spoon and its all a perfect mush.] 

I don't add anything to it at all, but you could spice it up a bit with some cinnamon or what ever strikes  your fancy.  My kids are do-it-yourself-ers when it comes to the cinnamon, so we just add it at the table.  Serve it hot or cold.  It freezes perfectly too.

Hungry?

China pengyous - my apple peeler/corer/slicer was 58 RMB on taobao, let me know if you want the link. 

UPDATE:
Here's the link http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14908260980
I was wrong,  it's 48 RMB, my shipping was 10 kuai, so total 58 :)

6 comments:

Abby said...

yes please!! i want that link!! i've been making apple butter the hard way all fall!!! and also avoid applesauce for the same reason!!
Abby

Patt said...

Looks delicious and sounds so easy. And you know how your Daddy loves applesauce - we'll have to look on amazon! Love you all!!

Luciana said...

Me too, link please. I love this! Oh, how about the pressure cooker? Does it work like a rice cooker or more like a traditional pressure cooker?

Angie said...

link, please! :o) (love your blog, laura!)

Leslie said...

Funny...half way around the world and applesauce is on my "to do" list today. We've had a big box of apples sitting around since we stopped at the apple farm over fall break. It's make it or let 'em rot time. I don't have any of your fancy gadgets, but I don't bother to peel mine either. The kids like the flecks of peel and I like the color they add. Plus we don't have any little new-eaters around. I'm also going to see if I can figure out how to save some chunks for our Thanksgiving pies.

Paul said...

love the peeler thing ee -- my Mom and grandmother would have too --- they both cooked apples often.
good luck with Luke on this
love Dad