Friday, October 19, 2012

tidbits

We are back to square one with Luke.  The medicine seemed to (ironically) cause extreme stomach cramping and major gas issues and our nights got sooooooo bad.   So we quit the medicine, and we're back to our previous bad.  Which, I learned, is actually not as bad as it could be.  It's all relative, right?  Still, if you feel led to ask the Lord to provide some relief (and some sleep!) please do pray for us.  And pray that regardless of what the nights (and days!) hold that His grace would sustain us. 

My head is swirling and I'm mostly blogging in an attempt to ignore the other things on my to-do list, so here's a tidbit of what's on the table here at home.  

I recently got my first iphone.  It's an iphone3 that passed through two different owners before finding it's way to my pocket.  My favorite feature?  I can text America.  Also, I would like to point out that it is not a phone.  It's a computer that happens to look like a phone and can make phone calls.  Really - calling it a phone is misleading.  My old Nokia that cost me 30 dollars and absolutely refused to break despite being chewed by babies and tossed by toddlers is a phone.  This iphone is a computer for the pocket.  And I know, I know,  it's practically an antique. 

I'm in a new groove where I try to bake Friday mornings.  And I'm realizing that five children eat a lot of food.  (Well, technically Luke doesn't eat any food - that boy still refuses solids.  Your day is coming buddy....)  One loaf of quick bread (apple, banana, pumpkin, sweet potato) doesn't last through one breakfast.  A batch of granola goes fast too (I started doubling my old faithful recipe).  What am I going to do when these five are teenagers?!? 

Julianna went to tour an elementary school as part of her preschool class yesterday.  That girl is smitten with the idea of attending.  Let's hope it lasts! 

We have some out-of-country guests who will be here for the next few days.  I love this - so fun to show people our lives, and so encouraging to see familiar faces on our home turf. 

Some days it seems like the walls of our house are caving in.  I know that millions of people share a tin shack with their entire family, no plumbing, no electricity, no nothing.  I know that half of the world's population lives on less than 2 dollars per day.  I am grateful for our space.  But jeepers sometimes it feels full in this little apartment.  And our tiny bathroom where you can barely squeeze open the door if someone is sitting on the potty.... of course, none of our children closes the door when they use the bathroom anyways, so it's hardly an issue!

Tonight we are on plan C for dinner.  I planned to cook (Sicilian eggplant pasta), but after one incredibly full afternoon cooking just wasn't in the cards.  I realized about 3pm that dinner was a pipe dream and pulled some spaghetti sauce from the freezer.  But at 4 my stomach churned and head throbbed at the idea of making and cleaning up another meal (even from the freezer) so I bailed on dinner altogether and we're walking down the street to eat noodles.  Some days are like that, right? 

Speaking of, we've got tummies grumbling and Matt's been gracious to give me these minutes alone (when he got home from work and saw my face....!)  so I'm off!  

5 comments:

Susan said...

Dinner out sounds like the best idea! I so hope Luke figures out the sleep issues soon. You got me thinking maybe Ryan had/has reflux too. We have had small improvements on naps and sleep. I hope you see some too!

Rob and Carrie said...

Oh, Laura-you seem like you handle lack of sleep a lot better than I do! That must be very challenging. I'm praying for you all that you can get some good rest soon!

Paul said...

and how can Luke be such a happy baby when he sleeps so poorly , his grandfather is one grumpy puppy when sleep is not so good-- and as I recall so was his uncle.
love Granddaddy

Jaci said...

I have the ancient I-phone3 myself...got it for 99cents. :-) I will praying for sleep...<3

Grandma Jan said...

I'm praying for sleep for you guys too. I get grumpy with little sleep too, and just plain sick. Strength and encouragement to you guys every minute of every one of your sleep deprived days, and always too. Don't know what God is doing. Love you all. Jan