Monday, October 1, 2012

house helper appreciation week

subtitle: absence makes the heart grow fonder

I have 20 hours a week of house help.  And it is every bit as great as it sounds. 

I won't try to explain why (or how) life here can be so frustratingly time-consuming and energy-draining.  Those of you who live in China already know.  And for those of you who don't live in China, I don't think I could ever put it into words. 

So my helper, she's what keeps my head above water.  Her biggest responsibilities are dish washing (I guess she spends 5 to 7 hours a week washing and putting away dishes!), market trips (buying veggies and fruit and the farmers market-ish place down the street), food prep (washing and cutting all those veggies), house cleaning (sweeping, mopping, dusting) and clothes washing (we tag-team, both of us keeping the laundry moving through its paces: wash, dry, fold, put away, wash, dry, fold, put away, wash, dry, fold, put away - ha!)

With the big national holiday, our helper is one of millions of people who is not working this week.  And I'm happy to give her the time off.  Really, I am. 

But man oh man, talk about a good job-security move.  We're only one day into the week and I'm already singing her praises.  There's nothing like a house helper on vacation to help you realize how much you love your helper!


So we're all pitching in extra around here.  Matt's helping by taking the big three camping - less meal prep and clean up, but more laundry - hmmmm.  The girls are pro dish washers, and the floors.... well, we can mop next week, right?

 
Did I mention that she adores Luke?  When the work is done and it's time for her to head home I often find her right here, sitting on the floor with Luke in her lap. 

We're missing her this week.  And it's only Monday :)  

3 comments:

Paul said...

I agree with her, Luke is adorable,
and with you, you will miss her- a lot-
love Granddad

Mom/Grandmama said...

And what's not to adore? And wonderful that the big 3 are big enough to help! Love you all!!

Chris, Leah, Austin, Bennett and Lucy said...

Yeah, I second this post...am totally missing my helper this week. I had all these little house projects I wanted to due with C and A out of town. But then forgot that without a helper, I probably won't have extra time for that.