Saturday, October 6, 2012

camping success

I wasn't expecting to feel so left out when Matt, Julianna, Lydia and Isaac drove away Friday morning.  Maybe it's because I'd rather be camping than hanging out at home with a toddler and baby (no offense to my little guys, I love them dearly dearly but it's been a long time since I've been camping and I'd much rather have slept in a tent than in a bed with fit-full Luke).

And I wasn't the only one wishing I was camping.  Big crocodile tears rolled down John Paul's face and he pointed towards the car when some of his favorite people drive away from our apartment.  He knew something big was up, he had watched the tent and bags and gear pile by the door, and when it became clear he wasn't going it was one sad little boy in my arms.

But the two of us (along with Luke) pulled ourselves together and managed to have a good chunk of fun while the other half of the family hiked and explored and drank hot chocolate by a campfire.    

They crew rolled back in about noon today, complete with tales of their exploits and pictures to prove it all.

They set up their tent at a (currently unused) youth camp area.


And played cards.


and hiked.


stumbled across part of a challenge course (belonging to the youth camp).


hiked a bit more.


And built a camp fire.


With a silly faces photo, of course.



Maybe next time it'll be all seven of us?!? 

Tomorrow I help host a baby shower for a dear local friend and then our family leaves on a two night trip.  We'll be back Tuesday afternoon. 

5 comments:

Krisanne said...

Glad they got to go after all - looks like so much fun! Hope you can go camping again someday sooner than later, too!

Mom/Grandmama said...

Looks like Matt and the big three had a lot of fun - hope you can all go together next time!

Grandma Jan said...

So fun, looked like a blast. I don't like "somedays" either Laura. Hope to drive there some day to see where the camping fun happens. Love the pictures Matt, and thanks for sharing them, Laura. Love you all. Jan

Julie Redfern said...

Looks like they had a great camping trip despite the yucky weather!

Anonymous said...

Matt! you win the super Dad award for this week. I'm so proud of you-of the father you are to your children. God has blessed you as you bless your children with your time & shared fun.
Love BN