Sunday, October 28, 2012

Luke's list

Sweet Luke is busy crossing things off his to-do list.

1. get serious about pulling up on the furniture.  check.



2. grow a few teeth.  check.


[No teeth pics yet, I'll work on it!]

[honest momma moment: I totally missed the appearance of tooth #1.  I mean, badly missed it.  By the time I realized the tooth was there it was at least a week old.  Tooth #2 is already here too.  My best guess is tooth #1 showed up a bit before he hit the seven month mark.]

3. map out his escape route.  check.



[this little guy can be out the door in a millisecond, so can his big bro.  keeps Mommy on her toes.] 

4. grip strengthening exercises.  check. 


Luke can squeeze/pinch/grab my face so hard that it brings tears to my eyes.  He would be an incredible rock climber, I can just picture his chubby little fingers clinging to a rock face.  

5. work on his sumo-wrestler pose.  check.



Luke is huge.  He weighed 9lbs 14 oz at birth.  On my bathroom scale at the six month mark he was 19 lbs.  He's gotta be well on his way to 21 now.  My other kiddos weighed 21 lbs at their first birthday party.  Luke is one week past the 7 month mark.  This guy is no lightweight - which is fitting for his position at "bottom of the family heap".  My guess is that no one will mess with little brother for too long. 

6. start snoozing.  {tiny} check.

I can confidently say that Luke is doing better than he was one month ago.  He spits up less.  Arches his back less.  Cries out in pain less.  Maybe the short week he was on medication allowed his stomach, GI tract a little time to heal?  Maybe he is growing out of some of his reflux issues?  He still has some things that concern me.  He refuses ALL solids.  Everything.  (I'm planning to splurge on some imported Cheerios and see if he'll feed himself some finger foods?  Everything that approaches on a spoon is a no-go.)  

Two nights in a row Luke (and Matt and me!) have slept a solid five hour stretch.  I'm encouraged.  But still tired.  His days are still tough.  I have moments where I think "I'm not sure how much longer I can do this".   But I am still doing it.  He is such a sweet baby boy.  Adores his big sibs.  Loves his mama with a passion.

I can't wait to see what he's got on his to-do list for the rest of the month. 

3 comments:

Grandmama said...

What a sweet post for a sweet baby boy! Perhaps God has indeed blessed him with size to help him hang tough in his position as the youngest of five!

Grandma Jan said...

Oh,such precious pictures of Luke. He looks so much like Matt when he was a baby with your beautiful eyes, only the sparkly baby blue color, and I do love blue eyes. Thanks for the post. Love you. Jan

Julie Redfern said...

He is BIG! Eric is almost 2 and weighs 27lbs. Will was more like Luke! Eric was not a fan of solid food either and I didn't even think he would manage to eat cake on his first birthday since he choked/gagged on all solids! And you got more consecutive sleep than I did last night! Go LUKE!