Thursday, October 11, 2012

champs

My kids are champs.  I look at all the changes that have rocked our family in the past months and, well, they are CHAMPS. 

Don't get me wrong, we have some tough moments, some hard days, some difficult heart issues to work through.  [Hmmm, am I talking about them? or myself?  Because I sure have tough moments, hard days, and plenty of heart issues to work through!]

But folks, this has been one intense season in our home.  New baby.  Newly adopted toddler.  It seems like all of our dynamics have changed.  Bedtime looks different, our kitchen table looks different.  Everyone switched to a new seat in the van.  The big kids share toys with a baby who slobbers (on everything!) and a toddler who can't express himself in spoken words.  They have a Mommy who hasn't slept decently in months and a Daddy who juggles way too many roles way too well! 

And they keep on keepin' on.  And thriving, really. 

On days when I think they should resent John Paul they love him.  Again and again and again.  On days when I think they'd hate to see their desires interrupted by Luke's needs (again!), they bicker over who gets to sit closest to his high chair. 

Watching them encourages me.  And makes me so very thankful to the God who enables any of us to wake and live and breathe another day.  He gives our every breath.  And smile. 


Here's thriving: Isaac selling popcorn at a 'ballet show' put on by the girls.  When you are the outnumbered little bro and refuse to wear pink you make do with your circumstances and sell popcorn. 

I'm not sure Isaac yet realizes how we are just mere months, maybe a year, away from the family dynamic switching to a solid boy tilt and he'll have lots of play options that don't involve frills!  But I'm grateful for this season for him too... how he is learning to find ways to play boy in the midst of their girl.  Right this moment John Paul and Isaac are playing in the courtyard (Luke sleeping) and my computer is set where I can watch them out the glass doors.  More and more these two boys are playing together and it does my heart so good!

And now Isaac is calling "Mommy, when are you gonna come out? I want you to come out right now." 

So that's where I'm headed.  Now. 



3 comments:

Mom said...

I don't see any popcorn in those cups? Stephen used to invent "sidebar" activities when you and the girl cousins overwhelmed him too. Love to you all!

Grandma Jan said...

Love the post Laura. Thanks for sharing. Love, Jan

Anonymous said...

laura, you illustrate to me that how does someone who put others' needs in front of themselves' look like - being a mommy.i think i should learn from you to get rid of my self-centerness. ah, love is hard. Susan