Monday, August 22, 2011

and a bun in the oven

About a month ago I started to feel, well, ummmm.... pregnant.  This was, (ahem), not part of the plan, nor anything I was prepared for.  I'll be honest, I did NOT handle it well.  Dear Jesus, this was not part of my wonderful plan for my life. 

The first days were tough.  We quickly emailed our agency to find out what would happen with our adoption plans, and were relieved to hear that we could proceed normally, and would just need to update some paperwork after baby makes his/her appearance.  So then I tackled the next stumbling block - 2012 would (most likely) bring two new additions to the family.  Baby in the belly (due late March) and toddler in the orphanage (hopefully coming home mid to late 2012).  Bringing the grand total to 5 children born within six years.

Just as we were starting to wrap hearts and heads around all of this I started feeling sick.  And it got worse, and worse and worse.  So much sicker than with my other three kiddos combined!  Well, that certainly complicated things a bit.  Thankfully I started on some anti-nausea meds that do help a lot, and I'm learning how to live with these limitations.  I do have some good days, some okay days, and some pretty tough days.

This afternoon Matt and I scooted over to the hospital down the street for an ultrasound, just to check things out and, honestly, because I thought the sight of that little beating heart would bring encouragement to this weary Momma soul.

12 dollars later we walked out of the building with a black and white picture of the bun in the oven :)  Hearing the heartbeat always does wonders.  But I am still weary.  At 8 & a half weeks I've got a ways to go before I start feeling better. 

Excited? sure.  Overwhelmed?  very.  Tired of hours on the couch?  oh dear yes. 

Trying hard to trust Jesus.... He is good, He is on the throne, He knows what He is doing. 

And one day soon we will be SEVEN :) 

8 comments:

Ann said...

Many congratulations !! What is that Yiddish saying " Mentsch tracht, Gott lacht. "
Translation: Man plans, God laughs.
I think God has wonderful plans for your family and your life. Enjoy!

Marianne B Dean said...

Oh my goodness!!! That is certainly overwhelming, but SOOO thrilling for the Kvernen family!! Praying for you to be feeling better soon!

Emmarie said...

Congratulations dear friends! Praying for you all during this exciting time! Hope you feel better soon.

Rob and Carrie said...

Wow! I'm sure that car trip was interesting if you weren't feeling well. Uff Da :) Congratulations to you and we'll be checking in for more updates!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! God sure does have a way of keeping us humble to His plans!!! Congratulations!!! We'll be praying for you all! Love, Marc and Jennifer Fleischer

JJ said...

Congratulations!! I know full well how awful it is to feel sick!! Hoping it is over soon for you.

Gina Marie said...

Congrats Laura and Matt! Will be praying for you as He continues to guide you on this path. :)

Becky said...

Congratulations! I was just telling Dave the other day about your future adoption after reading your letter. I'm so excited to share your newest news as well!! Praying you feel better VERY soon. Dave and I are expecting too..due date March 5th! We are super excited and Caleb is very ready to be a big brother. We went to China town in NYC last weekend and your family sure was on my mind as I got a small taste of your world. Love you guys.
Becky Loyd