Friday, May 14, 2010

a winner

I really do like doing crafts with the kids.  Some days I get half way into something and question my sanity, most days I end up wishing we had a porch or a yard where we could "craft" away and not spend so much time controlling mess and cleaning up behind ourselves, and occasionally craft time ends up in an all out selfish brawl with hurt feelings, sad faces, and confiscation of the "best pink marker". 

But lots of times it is just plain FUN.  The girls are easy to please and Isaac is happy to chew on the markers.  Unfortunately, he's pretty adept and getting his hands on the ones without lids, and ends up with Crayola covered lips.  I clean him up best I can and let him wash it down with milk :)

On Wednesday morning I traced the girls' bodies on big sheets of paper and let them decorate.  The tracing itself was pretty hilarious because Lydia is super ticklish!  She would squirm and squeal as I tried to trace her body.  We were all laughing so hard by the time I finished.  I did manage to get her "traced" but she had visible brown marker streaks in her hair, and the proportions of some of her limbs were a little off kilter.  

Once we were done with the initial tracing, the girls got down to business.




(Note Isaac making his move.... looking for markers without lids, no doubt.  My friend Jaci once asked "when it says non-toxic.... does that mean safe for daily consumption?"  I think about that and smile every time I see Isaac with the craft supplies!)



 


When they were finished, we taped them to the walls above their beds.  When naptime rolled around Lydia insisted on laying in her bed in such a way that she could look at herself!  The girls even went back later in the day to add more detail to the drawings.  

I might try to figure out how to save these two tracings, and I'll definitely be doing this again soon!  Maybe we'll decorate our home in the US with tracings of the whole family!

4 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Oh, I remember doing that with you and Stephen - such fun! Maybe you could scan (you can do that here at my office if you can get them to the US unscathed). We could print out smaller versions, frame them, and create a timeline of each child's growth? Love you all bunches!

Leslie said...

I love when our lives overlap, even though we live on opposite sides of the world. Just an hour ago, I was cleaning up from a painting project and wondering why it always takes twice as long to clean up from a craft project as it takes to actually do the project. I had to watch Amanda like a hawk - I left the room for a second and returned to find her mouth painted red! I should have just let her paint with flour, water and a little food coloring.

Julie Redfern said...

You are much braver that I! I love doing crafts and the kids do too but hardly do because of the mess it creates. I will have to be better about it this sumer when Caroline is home from school all day. Looks like they had a blast! Love Julie

Krisanne said...

What a fun idea! Something to store away for fun craft ideas in the future! I can just envision Lydia squirming and squealing away. :)