Saturday, May 15, 2010

when the cat's away the mice will play

Every day of my week has a different rhythm.
On Tuesday and Thursday mornings both girls are at school, so it's just me and Isaac at home. I like to load him in the stroller and run my errands without 'help' from the girls.  

On Fridays Julianna is at school and I have the morning with 'just the little two' and spend my free time answering Lydia's "is it time to go get Julianna yet?" questions.  

On Saturdays we almost always do a picnic lunch out on the town (usually because the pantry is bare, the leftovers look boring, and I am trying to spice things up a bit as we head towards the weekend). 

I enjoy the change of pace.  It makes each day of my week a little different, each day has a unique 'feel' to it, each day has it's own blessings and challenges. 

Isaac certainly loves to hang out with his big sisters, but he also enjoys having run of the house on the days they are at school.  I watch him and think "when the cat's away, the mice will play". 

Except in this case there are two cats (Julianna and Lydia) and one mouse (Isaac). 


He loves to get in all their stuff....  He totes around the pink baby dolls - a behavior that on other days of the week brings shrieks of "oh no, he's got my baby" and scrambles to place the precious pink bundles high up where he can't reach them.  

He pushes the stroller, drags around the baby cradle, pulls all of their books off the shelf, drinks out of their water cups.  In other words, he enjoys having free reign over the house :) 

This past week he started 'asking' to carry Lydia's backpack.  [He 'asks' by bringing it to me and attempting to get it on his back, hoping I'll notice and help him.]


Once he's got it on he takes off on a tour of the house, with the pink backpack dragging the floor behind him. 

I especially like this picture with the 'half guilty, half delighted' look on his face as he peeks around the corner.  He knows he's into his big sister's stuff.  And he's enjoying every minute :) 

On Tuesdays and Thursdays the cats are away.  And I have one little mouse who loves to play :) 

3 comments:

Julie Redfern said...

That is so precious! Will gets into Caroline's doll house stuff when Caroline is at school. that last picture is a great one to keep! Love Julie

Mom/Grandmama said...

I do love that last photo too - what a precious expression! Little boys will be boys. We love you and miss you!

Mom with a Mission said...

Same with Nathaniel. He has a great time in Abigail's bedroom while she is at school. I just have to be sure to get in there and clean up before she gets home.

Melanie