Saturday, May 29, 2010

Children's Day at school

The girls' performances at school were .... AWESOME!!  Seriously, they both did great!  

The camera went with Matt to Lydia's class.  Turns out he wasn't the only one who thought to record the moment - see the cell phone on the far right side of the photo?




The students (42 in her class) danced and sang for the parent-saturated audience.  Matt said Lydia did amazingly well.  I am sure that Lydia needed a little TLC these past few months - she's only the second non-Chinese speaker to ever attend this preschool (Julianna was the first).  

And it's clear that her teachers delivered on the TLC.  Matt said Lydia obviously felt comfortable, acted like a part of the class, handled herself with confidence, sang along to the songs, etc.  We are delighted to see that she did so well, and feel like it is confirmation that we made the right choice to start her at school in March.  


Matt really enjoyed being there, and it was a special time for the two of them to share.  As we put the kids in bed tonight Lydia looked up at Matt and whispered, "I'm still excited about my school day."



While Lydia danced and sang, I enjoyed my time in Julianna's class immensely.  It's starting to feel more natural to be at these events, I know what to expect, and am consciously grateful for the experiences of the past two years - the learning curve was pretty steep at the beginning, but we hung in there and I am so glad we did. 




Julianna's class finished earlier than Lydia's so the two of us, together with Julianna's buddy Li Yu Ke, squeezed into the back of Lydia's classroom to watch.  



It was a special day for all of us - we are grateful that the Lord provided such a wonderful school experience for the girls.  Only a few more weeks and it will be their "last day". I am starting to think through ways to help them (especially Julianna) bring some closure to their time at school.  

This is not a highly transient community, and I'm sure few 4 year olds know what to do with a "classmate who moves to the other side of the world".  Right now I hope to ask her teachers if I can go to class one day to help Julianna tell her classmates that she is leaving .... maybe bring a world map and take lots of photos and ????  Any ideas for me? 

4 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Loved your post- the girls look like they had wonderful days at school! And I know you and Matt enjoyed watching them. We love you!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful lessons the girls and their classmates are learning! I so encourage you to ask the girls' teachers when/what/how to come to the class with whatever props they/you think best. Maybe the girls will have an idea of what they'd like to share that will go with them on move to a very different home. (My guess? their stuffed animal??)
We're so awaiting your visit and so praising our Father for the blessing of family!
Love, hugs all around!
auntBN

Julie Redfern said...

Fun stuff! Looks like both girls really enjoyed their performances. Love Julie

Jaci said...

Okay seriously, could your girlies be ANY cuter??? I LOVE the photo on the post before. I am so glad that it has been such a good experience overall for your girls at school. I remember praying about it all a couple of years ago and then of course throughout the 2 years too. You all are beautiful!!!