Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

What a great day!  Matt and the kids continued a breakfast in bed tradition....Each year I lay in bed listening to the chaos in the kitchen, amazed at Matt's ability to create breakfast from bedlam.  Each year it seems that his task is exponentially harder!  But one day soon, probably sooner than we imagine, the kids will be cooking and serving on their own.  And until then, I'll marvel at Matt's ability to stand back and smile while his 'cooks' proudly tell me all about how they "made breakfast for mommy". 


With this crew piled around me, I read my Mother's Day cards.  Matt interviewed the girls and wrote some quotables on the cards they decorated in my honor. 

My favorites from Julianna:
"Mommy is good at serving me."  "It makes me so happy when you hug me."  and "I like to hold your hand while we walk to the balls [indoor play area in our town]."

And from Lydia:
"Mommy is good at writing my name."  "Thank you, Mommy, for doing my hair." and "Mommy is my favorite person." 

Nothing from Isaac this year :)


So by the time I finished reading the cards, it was abundantly clear that any attempt at actually eating my breakfast surrounding by the children was going to end in disaster.  So we all retreated to the kitchen table :)

After church and naps we loaded up on the electric scooter and Matt's bike to go to a new neighborhood about twenty minutes from our home that is full of playgrounds.  It seems that every time we go we find yet another playground area. 


Julianna's new favorite playground activity is to create a mini challenge course for herself and race the clock.  She'll say "I'll do all the ladders, all the slides, through the long tunnel, ride the see saw and run back to you, ok?  Tell me when to start Mom.  Are you looking at your watch?"

After all that running, she chowed down on our picnic supper.


What a fun day! 



Only small bummer was that Lydia woke up from her nap feverish and crabby, and got significantly worse through the evening and night.  Tylenol helped some, but at lunch when her fever was 105 I called the clinic.... doctor thinks it is probably roseola. 

In honor of Mother's Day, I'm hoping that we'll escape sharing the virus with the rest of the family!  I can certainly dream :)

Happy Mother's Day from one blessed Mommy!  How I love my job! 

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Such a fun day! My favorite part about such mornings is when the kids think they are being so quiet and "whispering", but you can hear every word they say. I love lying in bed and just listening to the chaos.

Brent, Sara, Hannah and Sam said...

Looks like a fun day!!
Hannah had roseola with insanely high fevers too - don't be alarmed by the rash that will develop.
Love ya -

JBC said...

How sweet ¨they¨ all cooked you breakfast ;). Lovely to see everyone crowded around you... looked like lots of love! Thanks for sharing your day.

Mom/Grandmama said...

What a lovely mother's day! Julianna and Lydia - you did a great job with breakfast and what nice quotes you gave Dad for Mommy's cards! Looks like you all had a great time at the park and with your picnic supper. We love you!