Monday, May 3, 2010

home sweet home

One thing is most certainly true about the life we live: home is tricky to define.  

I am amazed at how many different places I refer to as 'home'.  And amazed at how often 'home' changes.  A few months ago I was standing in our living room working on plane tickets to America when Julianna asked me what I was doing.  I offhandedly answered "working on tickets for us to go home" and didn't even realize how strange that sounded to her until I looked down at her confused little face.  I could almost read her thoughts "Home?  But we are at home Mommy."



And she's right.  This, our apartment, is home.  But we've also had hotel stays that were long enough for me to refer to our hotel room as 'home'. (Ever spent three weeks in a hotel?  You'll be surprised to find yourself refer to it as home!)  And in a sense, America will always be my home.  I sometimes specifically refer to my mom and dad's house as home. 

In the next months, home is getting even trickier to define.  We know for sure we are moving out of this home.  Then we head home to America, where we just heard about the amazing home that we'll enjoy this fall.  And in January we move back to Asia, to a new home.  

It makes my head spin just thinking about it!  But I am also excited about all the things God has in store for us in each location.  And I love our homes so very much. 

A few days ago we were out walking and out of the blue Julianna said "God always knows just the right home for us to live in."  Amen sister.  

3 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Julianna is right - God knows and God provides. He might be having to run to keep up with you, but he's always out in front! We look forward to having you "home" in America! Love you all!

Julie Redfern said...

I understand that "home" thing too. I have lived in a hotel room for 4 months and we still refer to NC as home sometimes too. Will says our house now isn't our home that Gaithersburg is! God will bless you in all your "homes"! Love Julie

JBC said...

Forget about the kids confused I get confused, hahaha. We've moved so much that I'm not sure we could even remember all of our apartments! Looking forward to seeing everyone this summer!