Monday, March 8, 2010

lunch?

Part of me hesitates to post these pictures and this little tidbit.  After all, if you are living under the impression that I walk through motherhood feeding my children 3 perfectly-matching-the-food-pyramid meals each day, well, get ready to have that blown out of the water. 

Weeks get long.  Meals get hairy.  Some days we eat jelly beans.  For lunch.  

Just kidding, up to this point I have never fed my kids jelly beans for lunch, but if things got desperate, I might consider it. 

So Saturday noontime rolls around and off for a picnic we go.  I packed milk for the kiddos, and planned to buy the rest "en route".  

We went to the market for a few treats.  This lady typically has lots of bread-like goodies.  Bummer is she was sold out of potato-filled spring rolls.  But she did have a few other things, so the girls picked out what they wanted and we went on to the next stop. 

This steamed bun is incredibly popular here.  The girls each wanted one "of their own".  I knew there was no way they would ever finish it, but the price was right (about 7 cents each) so I let them each order one anyways. 


At this point the nutritional value of our lunch was hovering at about ZERO.  But I was holding out hope that maybe we'd run into something a tad more nutritious.  



And we did!  I love these roasted sweet potatoes (aren't they huge?  they aren't usually this big).  We then headed to our picnic spot. 


I had three milk cups, one utensil (a small pair of scissors) and some wipes.  It worked out perfectly.  I peeled the skin off the sweet potato and cut into the yummy insides.  Isaac's bib doubled as his "tray" so I just dropped chunks of sweet potato into the pocket and he grabbed away. 

We sat on the track near our home and watched a soccer game.  The main lunch attraction was definitely the sweet potato, and just as I predicted the girls barely made a dent in their steamed bun.  

Not the healthiest thing I've ever fed my children, but better than jelly beans. 

5 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Those char-grilled sweet potatoes might not look so yummy to the un-initiated but they really are good - especially right off the charcoal on a cool day! Looks like a fun adventuresome picnic day - the kids certainly appeared to be having fun! Isaac is doing great handling his sippy cup all on his own now - he's moving in on 1 year in just a few days! We love you all bunches!

Chris, Leah, Austin, Bennett and Lucy said...

Just this week Austin started asking me for mantou for a snack. On afternoon we needed to kill time, so we walked on over the xiao mai bu and...they were only selling them in bags of 4. 4 mantou! I think over 2 days he made a dent in one of them. But can't really say I wasted much money. :)

Leslie said...

Too bad you didn't have a sharp knife with you to enjoy one of those yummy looking pineapples in the background of the sweet potato picture. They are $2.50 at the grocery store now, and I almost bought one last night. We had one last week and the family devoured it.

So glad you are getting some picnic weather! Andrew is really ready for some outside at-the-park time.

Paul said...

Just had a Bruggers Bagel for lunch - would have loved to have had the kids and you with me - no soccer game to watch - or sweet potato vendor either, bet I could have found a soccer game, doubt the baked potato vendor -
love Dad/GrandDaddy

JBC said...

This post cracked me up because I just checked the freezer and there are pink, green and purple stains in the ice as well as a pink one on Deuce`s back. I´m pretty sure someone in this house that`s not me and not the puppy had jelly beans for dinner last night!