Sunday, March 28, 2010

the dying computer

I really love our computer.  It's a 4 year old Dell and it has never given us a single problem.  That's pretty remarkable, at least in my book, where I assume computer life span is barely three years.  We knew we were pushing it, hoping this one would last til we arrived home this summer.  It looks like the computer might not survive quite that long.  

[We actually have two computers.  Matt uses a Dell Mini that he basically doesn't leave home without.  I'm serious.  It's so small and so convenient to carry that he takes it just about everywhere. When Matt got the Mini, our old family laptop became "mine".  And it's still our main computer.... it's got all our music, our photos, and whatnot.  And I use it for email.]

Several times in the past few weeks the computer screen suddenly went black.  I put together everything I knew about computers and hit the restart button.  And each time the computer came right back on with a perfectly functioning screen.

Until today.  The black screen is here to stay.  So I have to plug the computer into our tv screen using a VGA cable.  I'm sitting on a kitchen chair about two feet from our tv screen, with the computer on my lap.  Clearly, this is not a long term solution.  

Matt is shopping for a new computer, but it will be a while before we can order, get it shipped somewhere in America, and have it brought over to us in Asia. 

In the meantime, I'll be using the computer plugged into the tv screen option.  Yuck.  Anyone else ever have a similar problem and know a quick fix?


3 comments:

Julie Redfern said...

Matt can get a discount at a mac store since he is a teacher. Dying computers are no fun! Good luck connecting it to the tv. Love Julie

Karen said...

Definitely go with a Mac. Once you get used to using it (which doesn't take long), you'll wonder how you ever lived without one. Good luck!

April said...

The same thing happened to my Gateway-the screen is probably burned out, so the best fix is a new computer!